Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   elephantinc- Horror challenge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34351)

elephantinc 16-08-2010 01:40 PM

elephantinc- Horror challenge

I'm in.
I might do something a bit.....unconventional but I haven't quite decided yet. I might make it low poly too.

edit: got it, I know what I'm going to do (it won't be low poly though). Not really your conventional horror film star but if I was making a horror film, this is definitely what I'd pick.

mastone 16-08-2010 02:53 PM

Does it involve elephants?..... only joking of course, good luck

elephantinc 16-08-2010 03:10 PM

I very nearly was an elephant, a very cute and cuddly looking one that it turns out has a more sinister side, but I couldn't really flesh the idea out.

elephantinc 16-08-2010 04:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Early progress, can you guess what it is yet?

Trust me, it will be horrific....

bullet1968 16-08-2010 09:31 PM

Ringmaster???

elephantinc 16-08-2010 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bullet1968
Ringmaster???
Yep ;)

The poor, poor sealions....

bullet1968 16-08-2010 09:44 PM

I wonder why they have such an affiliation with evil for kids??? BTW good luck mate.....hope there will be a mutant killer elephent in there some where!!!

cheers bullet

elephantinc 16-08-2010 10:06 PM

Well for me, it's a mixture of three things:

1) Memories of the old ringmaster at blackpool tower circus, he was really good at being an evil b*stard and being mean to Mookey (the clown)
2) Once while in France I turned on the tv and there was an elephant in a circus on dancing, with the ringmaster instructing it and it really looked miserable.... :( . No circuses in this country have elephants anymore but the same isn't true for countries like France (ironic considering where Cirque du Soleil came from (a circus with absolutely no animals))
3) My first ever stop motion short. My mum bought me some plastercine for my birthday and I had some pretty colourful colours but despite this, still made elephants out of them. "The only place you would find elephants that colourful is in a circus". So I just started messing around, and did a very short animation with the 4 elephants juggling, balancing on a ball etc. Then I went to 'range' in search of more plastercine and they had a starter kit with some strange varieties of blue, yellow and red and a bottle of varnish (seemed strange to me too). Continue with the circus films and because I like them and because I could use the varnish to make them look wet, I decided to make sealions. And this sort of continued until I had a full circus full of animals and a ringmaster. I was quite eager to make a stop motion animation and just started doing stuff, with no planning or forethought. I ended up with a sort of beginning of animal farm type affair, with the animals eventually overthrowing the evil ringmaster that imprisoned them. I couldn't have an animal as the villain, so it had to be the human. This has sort of come out of that. Even though I did the voice, the sealions cries of pain still haunt me...

elephantinc 23-08-2010 07:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Started on his unfortunate victim. Not much progress but I thought I better post so you don't all think I've dropped out.

elephantinc 24-08-2010 08:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not sure about the flipper size, what do you think?

daverave 24-08-2010 08:43 PM

Just looking on the net and your flippers look ok, I think the snout should be a little more like a dog from above...........dave

elephantinc 24-08-2010 08:48 PM

Ok, thanks, I thought the snout looked a little off.

elephantinc 18-09-2010 03:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm a little behind, thanks to a series of catastrophic computer failures but I'm finally back up and running and have started work on his facial features. Still lots of work to be done:

elephantinc 18-09-2010 03:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wireframe:

bullet1968 18-09-2010 03:20 PM

Looking better mate, hope it has an evil touch to it?? need to smack the Ringmaster in the bum for being cruel eh?

cheers bullet