Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   July Challenge Rules and Guidelines! (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12440)

mtmckinley 01-07-2004 04:12 AM

July Challenge Rules and Guidelines!

July Challenge

ANIMATION!

For July, we're going to have you guys try something new and have a character animation challenge! The focus of this challenge is animation as opposed to modeling, texturing, or rendering. Here's are the guidelines:

1) Of the 2 provided sound clips, choose one for your entry. If you are able to do both somehow, pick your best one as your final entry.

2) This is an animation challenge, so don't be spending lots of time on the model! Feel free to choose one of the free rigs that are available around the web or make your own simple guy. Modeling, texturing, rendering, etc not required!

3) Your final entry should be no larger than 640x480 and cannot be over 1 mb zipped if you want to attach the file to the post. If it's larger, you'd need to host it elsewhere and link us to it. Your final entry can be rendered or a playblast.

4) Show your progress! Show concept/storyboards! Give feedback and encourage each other!

5) BONUS! This is NOT required, but it will definitely help your chances if you manage to use facial animation for the dialogue and expressions!

6) Label your thread thusly:

July - Norm or Noob - Your name

Choose to classify yourself as a Normal or Noobie class entry. Whichever class you choose is the class your final submitted entry will compete against! A winner will be chosen from both classes.

7) Mods and Admins can enter, but are inelligible to win and do not count toward the Grand Prize consideration of 5 entries mentioned below. If a mod chooses to participate, choose "Mod" class rather than Norm or Noob.

8) If 5 or more Normal entries finish among the 3 Simply sites participating, a Grand Prize will be rewarded! Regular VIP point prizes will be awarded to both a Normal and Newbie winner, regardless!

A rigged character is provided further down the thread for those who do not want to make their own.

The due date of the challenge is July 31st!

EDIT: Working sounds added. Look to post on page 2.

mtmckinley 01-07-2004 04:13 AM

Ask any questions here. :)

3Demon 01-07-2004 06:00 AM

LOL, love the sound clips. :)

markemark 01-07-2004 06:22 AM

Great idea for a challenge.

"Now where did I put that Roger Rabbit Animation book?"

Good luck all!

Mark :)

mtmckinley 01-07-2004 07:38 PM

seriously, guys, if no ones wants an animation challenge, let me know and they'll stop coming.

jsprogg 01-07-2004 07:59 PM

It's way beyond my ability Mike ..although of course would love to learn :)

mtmckinley 01-07-2004 08:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, that's the point, isn't it?

It was expressed on the LW forum that if a rigged character was provided, it might spark more people to join. Attached is a Maya rigged character as found at lostpencil.com.

mtmckinley 01-07-2004 08:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another, again provided by lostpencil.com

mtmckinley 01-07-2004 08:16 PM

If you find any more free rigs, feel free to post them here.

mtmckinley 01-07-2004 08:20 PM

Take a look at www.10secondclub.org to see some examples of this kind of challege.

mohheader 01-07-2004 11:24 PM

http://www.vfs.com/~m07goosh/rigging101/cds.htm

;)

markemark 02-07-2004 07:06 AM

At the end of the day, animation is what Maya is all about (for me anyway). Bringing characters to life and giving them personality. I think this is the best idea for a challenge I have seen and can't wait to get started.

I think that there is a robot dog on the Simply Maya site which has already been rigged but there is no mouth to lip sync.

Thanks Mike for those rigs. Just the start I needed.

Mark :)

rotbol 02-07-2004 07:41 AM

you can find free rigs (packageMan and IK-Joe) at www.rigging101.com :)

NextDesign 03-07-2004 03:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
FINALLY! AN ANIMATION CHALLENGE!

I found that the 2 types of metal didn't like maya very much (or at least PLE) so heres the file that works.

thebrianproject 05-07-2004 06:57 AM

I'm in. This is my first challenge.