Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Work flow question (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18378)

jdraks 22-09-2005 12:26 AM

Work flow question

Hi,

I have a question regarding the workflow processes people use. I have just finished modelling a character and I don't know what to do next. Should I rig the model including deformers and then apply the textures and finally animate or is better to texture the model first then rig and finally animate?

Thanks

The light that burns twice as bright lasts half as long

vladimirjp 22-09-2005 01:03 AM

at least UV the model first.

u can texutre afterwards depending on the pace of the project. its common to have a mesh rigged while someone else create the textures etc. then uv's are transfered or mesh is wrapped deformed.

jdraks 22-09-2005 10:30 PM

Thanks for that. :attn:

On UV's, when creating a UV map should I create the head as a separate object and then UV map the head and body separately. I'm finding that when I map the entire mesh its hard to add specific maps to the head.

On another note when creating a poly model for film should the mesh be modelled using a very low count and then smoothed when the animation is complete with textures added.

Cheers

vladimirjp 23-09-2005 12:02 AM

u can UV the head seperately from the body. but be aware of discontinuos UV border. u will need to do some careful clonning to get rid of it, and careful to not have any bump on the surrounding uv border for the bump map. unless u need it, then again careful painting for those areas.

- if u r modeling for film rez, there should not be any poly limits. :p

u can always create a low-low rez stand in version of ur model, it can even be simple cubes shaped closely as ur mesh.

jdraks 25-09-2005 12:50 PM

Multiple UV's on mes

Hi,

Which shader would you use to combine all the uv sets onto the mesh. I have create a UV set for the head, body, amrs etc but can only apply the one thats copied to Map1.

Also if I paint everything seperatly as different files how do I link all these files on shader whilst maintaining the UVs.

Thanks

The light that burns twice as bright lasts half as long.

Phopojijo 25-09-2005 05:35 PM

You need to select the faces you want for a shader, click on a shader in the rendering toolbar (blinn, lambert, doesn't matter) and it will create a shader for those selected faces.

So -- lets say you have your entire head mapped -- select all the faces in your head and click the button for a lambert shader (name it shader_head if you wish, doesn't matter what its called) and it will use the UV mappings for whatever faces you have.

jdraks 26-09-2005 12:24 PM

Thanks for that but I still can't seem to map the UV texture map back onto the UV set.

The model accepts the shader for a specific UV set which I select via the editor and displays the colour selected but when I take a UV snap shoot and paint the textures via photshop and then assign the texture map to the colour shader as a 2d file the uv set on the model goes a white colour.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

The light that burns twice as bright lasts half as long

jdraks 27-09-2005 12:34 PM

UV Sets

Hi,

I did some digging around in google and found the solution.

I created a shader (Blinn) and applied this to faces of the UV set (mapped prior) and then via Hypershade created a file node (UV snapshot painted in Photoshop) and linked it to the Blinn shader via the colour channel.

I then opened the Relationship editor > UV set editing window and linked the UV set to the texture under the Blinn shader and the texture appeared on the model.

Thanks guys for all your help.:beer: