Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   lotr THE ONE RING (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5165)

AngelEyes 14-04-2003 10:14 AM

lotr THE ONE RING

I have i little problem, i want to make the ring from Lord of the rings in MAYA.

I tryd it my self but it wasn't good enough. so can someone tell me or help me find a tutorial. I looked every ware, but i cant find one for MAYA :banghead:.

thanx for your help. :D

Darkware 14-04-2003 10:51 AM

Create a polygonal torus with lots of faces. Make the Mordor letters by creating a plane, using the split poly tool to design it, then extruding the faces back to make them 3D. When you select the faces and choose Edit Polygons>Extrude Face look in the channel box to view what you can make the extrude do. Near the bottom is Keep Faces Tog. Make sure this is set to on so the faces stay together. After you have created all the letters, position them on the ring and boolean. This will create the engraved writings of Mordor onto the ring. As for the shader, I would recommend the gold shader from Denfographics.com.

Darkware 14-04-2003 10:59 AM

By the way, you would need to deform the torus into the shape of a ring obviously.
Scale X and Z: 1
Scale Y: .25
*Section Radius: .2
*Subdivisions Axis: 50
*Subdivisions Height: 50

*attribute can be found in the channel box inputs for torus.

Another way would be to make an oval curve with the EP Curve tool, a circle, then extrude the curve along the circle with Surfaces>Extrude.

EagleKing 14-04-2003 11:05 AM

I know this has nothing to do with the question and maya but..
the one ring is easier to make in bryce.You write the things in photoshop or another prog on black background.then in bryce, you create a terrain and open the terrain editor. then you choose the pic and you have the writings of Mordor. create a ring and set the boolean type of the ring to positive and of the writings to negative. mm....then the ring is done I think....

abra 14-04-2003 11:18 AM

i guess it is also possible in maya... just use this map as a displacement map and you should get the same result...

AngelEyes 14-04-2003 11:33 AM

thanx guys, this will help me a lot :yipee:

mumbojumbo_13 14-04-2003 11:46 AM

ahh what you might want to do is:
create the image in photshop then create a shader in the hypershade
make the bump map a file by clicking on the checkered box and applying the file.
set the bump depth to a negative number so it goes in towards the ring

M 14-04-2003 02:46 PM

You could even just model a plain old gold ring, render it out large, and then take it over to photoshop and bind the text around it with photoshop tools :), this would get you a really nice image, but of course you couldnt render off 100 of them for a movie, as you would have to edit each one :P. So i guess my idea is a bad one. :P.

doodle 14-04-2003 02:51 PM

Why not create the Rinf itself with a curve?

AngelEyes 15-04-2003 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Darkware
Create a polygonal torus with lots of faces. Make the Mordor letters by creating a plane, using the split poly tool to design it, then extruding the faces back to make them 3D. When you select the faces and choose Edit Polygons>Extrude Face look in the channel box to view what you can make the extrude do. Near the bottom is Keep Faces Tog. Make sure this is set to on so the faces stay together. After you have created all the letters, position them on the ring and boolean. This will create the engraved writings of Mordor onto the ring. As for the shader, I would recommend the gold shader from Denfographics.com.
i cant get te letters wright, i used a nurb, i got the ring form better that way. But i cant get te letters engraved in to the ring. can you or someone els help me with this. :confused:

thanx

cb8rwh 15-04-2003 10:43 PM

if you used nurbs there are a couple of options.
1 convert to polys then use darkwares method.
2. keep the nurbs and create the text and project the text curves onto the ring - trim the surface to delete the area of the ring surface that is the text - duplicate the projected text curves twice, move the second duplicate back into the ring ad loft between the two duplicated curves.

I ain't very good at explaining things - as you might have gathered :(

I would go with darkwares method :)

Saiyan 16-04-2003 02:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This may help ya out......dunno what you have done already....show us some stuff :beer: :beer:

Attachment included

AngelEyes 16-04-2003 02:54 PM

This is what i have, i know its not much, but im still learning allot about shaders and rendering options.

Im still trying to get the letters write, and i also want to reflect the fire in the ring.

Thanx for al the advise :beer:

AngelEyes 16-04-2003 02:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
sorry forgot to add the image

ragecgi 16-04-2003 03:39 PM

Cool ring o' fire!