Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Digital Tutors sucks! (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18094)

midion 01-09-2005 10:49 PM

Digital Tutors sucks!

They aren't making any sense. I ordered there maya basics tutorial in electronic download form. I waited for them to send me the download link. 10 hours later I call them and ask what the problem is. They say I can't get the download link because of a conflict with my address and IP.

I gave them an APO address because i'm currently stationed in Iraq. The APO address goes New York where they see that its military and it gets shipped over to me. I told the girl that at customer service.

She said they don't ship to countrys like that. I could probably try and contact a reseller in the UK and have them ship me a copy.

I wanted electronic download because it will take to long to come in the mail. I explained if I order it from the UK. It will still go to New York. Then it will have to go from there to Iraq and it will take atleast a month to get here.

After I told her this. She just sat silent on other side. The said do you have anymore questions?

I said I don't see why my address matters when i'm downloading it. She said it just does...

So I said since i'm in Iraq I can't download the tutorial. Then she said yes. Why can't make an exception for someone fighting for there country?!

Trying to learn maya is the only thing seems to calm my nerves when I get off my 12 hour shift here. I take a shower and fool with maya for a couple of hours and go to sleep.

One top of all of this my account on the Digital Tutors website was deleted!!!!

Thats the main reason why I called them. I keep checking at the site incase some weird download link would pop up. Then all of the sudden when I get in the office at work. I try and log in and it won't let me! I think ok.... I enter in my email address for them to send my login information to me again. Maybe it changed or something. Then it says we have no record of your email address or account.

I asked the girl on customer service about this also and she didn't reply. She just ignored what I said.

I'm so pissed I could actually go and pay for some webpace and get the domain www.digitaltutorssucks.com

Just make it suck even more that i'm in Iraq!

I do have simply maya dvd's. I just ordered all 3 dvd bundle packs today(mad lab, starfighter, and low poly man) .

Plus I have the spitfire set, apache set, organic model1, organic model 2, frog, spider, warrior, and a couple of smaller ones.

I just wanted to get a maya basics tutorial. The one on the gnomon website isn't there anymore since they are making a new one.

alienscience 02-09-2005 12:27 AM

WOW, iraq. As a soldier or resident? Sorry, I didnt read all of your post. But I agree. Digital tutors is not only highly overpriced, but is very nit picky. I hate the format and codec they use for their online vids.

Nurb Herder 02-09-2005 12:28 AM

Sorry to hear you're having such a rough time with that website. Sounds like they have some real issues. I can say that I know your pain. I was in Iraq 2 years ago myself when I was in the Marine Corps. Unfortunately, I didn't have the luxury of a laptop but an infantryman rarely ever does, hehe. Anyways, I generally refrain from giving advice so don't take this as such. Rather, I'll just point out what I might do if I were in your position.

You might try contacting customer support once more and asking to speak to the representative's supervisor. Reason for this is that a rep can't really help you. They are given strict guidelines to follow and they're just trying to get through thier 8 hour work day as smoothly as possible, whether they actual provide any real help to the customer or not. Once you're in communication with the supervisor, explain to him/her (a) your general dis-satisfaction with the customer service department, (b) your utter disgust with thier policy of not shipping/providing download services for american service men/women deployed overseas, and finally (c) explain that if he can't offer a solution, you have no choice but to compose a strongly worded letter and submit it to the editor of your local hometown newspaper back home as well as to the webmasters of CG related websites in order that it might be published in thier "Latest News" sections.

In your conversation with him/her be sure to let them know just how disgusted your are by thier discriminating practices. That word, "discrimination" is a real attention-getter. Stay calm and collective, yet forceful in your manner of speaking. Let them know they can't just brush you aside with an "I'm sorry, that's just our policy" type of response. Demand a solution to the problem and if the situation is going favorably, an apology as well.

Well, like I said, these are just a few things I might do under the given circumstances. Take what I've said and do with it what you will. Good luck to you in this and all your endeavors, and as always, be safe.

midion 02-09-2005 01:59 AM

Yeah thanks for giving me an insight on what you would have done. I tried calling back a few minuets afterward but got there anwsering machine. I'll call them back tommorow. Alot of people that i'm working with said things along the same lines as you did. I was planning on joining the marines but my family was freaking out about it. I ended up joing the army and working in the Military Intelegance field. So that's the main reason that I have a laptop out here. I'm a Information Management Officer. I'm enlisted and not an officer. It just says officer in the job title.

Nurb Herder 02-09-2005 04:43 AM

Do me a favor and thank your family when you see them again, lol. You made a good choice joining the Army in my opinion. Well, I can't really say that having only seen things from the side of being a Marine but let me tell you life sucked for four years, hehe.

Mil Intel sounds like a fairly interesting field. There were a few Army Intel guys with us when we were in Mosul. Good bunch of guys.

Anyways, good luck once again and if things don't work out maybe you could get a family member to order the DVD's to thier address then ship them to you. I know it takes forever to get mail out there but it might cut down on the wait by as much as a week when opposed to having to order through a european vendor.

BMS 02-09-2005 07:37 AM

I would post this on http://forums.cgsociety.org/ also, I'm sure they won't appreciate that :D

lisa_gonzalez 02-09-2005 08:37 AM

I'm really sorry to hear about your problems with DT, but this really isn't the place to be posting things like this. Maybe you should be telling them, rather than moaning here.

LisaG :headbang:

Alan 02-09-2005 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by lisa_gonzalez
I'm really sorry to hear about your problems with DT, but this really isn't the place to be posting things like this. Maybe you should be telling them, rather than moaning here.

Why? because by the sounds of it the service from here has been much better...... ;)

I dont think david will mind too much to hear about the problems people have had with their competitors :D

:ninja:
A

lisa_gonzalez 02-09-2005 08:44 AM

Its a beautiful, sunny Friday..........I don't want to hear complaining!! ;)

lol

Alan 02-09-2005 09:14 AM

ah yes but I'm sure like me the blinds in your building are drawn... plenty of room for complaining!! Also the lack of A/C here means there'll be more complaining in the afternoon when the sun really hits us :D

:ninja:
A

lisa_gonzalez 02-09-2005 09:31 AM

lol, I'm lucky, in my little area the blind is up and the sun is streaming in!! Glad to hear we're also not the only company who's A/C is completely poo!! ;)

BMS 02-09-2005 09:43 AM

No sun here . . . its night time :(

Nurb Herder 02-09-2005 04:33 PM

Quote:

I've only been around these forums about a week and this isn't the first post reply of this type I've seen. It seems to me that theres a rather strict outline of what should and should not be posted here on these forums. If theres a post about this very issue could someone kindly point me towards it so that I might abide by these regulations as well.

On a personal note, I see nothing wrong with this post as it warns the community of the shady business practices used by the aforementioned website. A SimplyMaya competitor no less. In my opinion the community as a whole benefits from this knowledge. And Lisa, I'm sorry that you're in such a happy place right now that a single post about another's misfortune is enough to send you spiraling downward into the dismal darkness of dispair. Hehe, j/k. Seriously though, I really thought this post to be worthy of a certain merit on this the 'Member's Lounge' forum, but I'm new here and a guest here and wish to comply with all SM posting rules and etiquettes so please if there is such a post I would greatly appreciate a friendly nudge in the right direction. :)

alienscience 02-09-2005 05:36 PM

Quote:

Its a beautiful, sunny Friday..........I don't want to hear complaining!! ;)

lol

Your computer talks to you?

lisa_gonzalez 02-09-2005 06:16 PM

Woah, sorry everybody, didn't mean to cause offence. Maybe I shouldn't have said what I did, so soz.

Alienscience, I have a very special computer ;) , its what keeps me sane!!

Nurb herder, it was the first post I read this morning and I wanted it to be happy!! (although the thread title should have been a big hint, lol!!!).

Anyway, end of, hope its all sorted now midion ;)