Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Startup Camera Warning (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7163)

rberchin 28-07-2003 11:44 PM

Startup Camera Warning

I'm wondering if anyone can help me understand and correct a Warning I've been getting the a startup camera: front cannot be found and that one is being substituted. Has anyone seen this? Can you offer some help on how to correct it?
Ron

Emo 29-07-2003 12:16 AM

I've had this happen to me before in this particular project and it was really annoying.... and I still dont know what caused it so I'm clueless as much as you are :confused:

-Emo

drknow 29-07-2003 12:52 AM

reset your prefs. If that doesnt work pm me and I will help ya out.

mtmckinley 29-07-2003 12:55 AM

that usualy happens when you mess with the default configuration. All you have to do is switch it back by going to Panel > Orthographic > Front.

Witchy 29-07-2003 04:01 PM

Same thing suddenly happened to me when I opened Maya today.

The default scene is fine but when I open any other scene I get the the error message about not finding top or side cameras and a substitue being used. If I manually switch them back as Mike suggests, when I switch from single view to four view I get the message again and they all revert to a single view. At one point it seemed as if the scene had flipped and was lying on the grid the wrong way up.

Can anyone help as I can't work on any scene I have. If I try and import a model to a new scene it's lying down horizontally on the grid and the same error message shows up. I haven't changed or altered anything.

EDIT: Thanks to Icarus for the windows/settings and preferences/ preferences/ restore defaults settings tip. Had to do it twice before everything was back to normal but seems fine now. Nice one!

rberchin 29-07-2003 08:00 PM

Based on Witchy's description of his problem and my own experience it appears that the warning has something to do with the configuration of the up axis. Its my understanding that Maya's default is "Y up" (although I have seen reference to the fact that it is actually "Z up"; my default configuration is "Y up"...I'm on a Mac, but that shouldn't make a difference). My own problem seemed to start when I (knowingly) changed to a Z up configuration (following the workflow that is described in the new Inside Maya 5 book). Once I did that I started getting the Warning about not finding a suitable startup camera:front). Once changed, Maya retains the configuration. So, a scene that had been created with a Y up orientation will appear to be incorrectly oriented when opened in the Z up configuration, obviously. There may well be a way to instruct Maya to open a scene with the configuration in which it was created, but I'm not sure. Nevertheless, it seems to me that you should be able to change the default Y up to a Z up without getting the camera warning, perhaps there's something else that is needed to be changed (a camera revolve?), but I was hoping that someone with a good deal more Maya experience than me could point the way.
Ron

mtmckinley 30-07-2003 02:36 AM

Well, I dunno. I get that every now and then but I never change it to Z-up.

now that I think about it, I think it usually happens to me when I switch the front or side view cameras to one of the other bookmarks, like the Back view.