Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Polygons to Subdivision Problem (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30962)

Bounce_X 21-09-2008 10:34 PM

Polygons to Subdivision Problem

1 Attachment(s)
Hi there Peeps

I'm doing a model of a gargoyle and have just stitched the two halves of the polygon model together, however when I then try to convert that polygon model to subdivisions it refuses to do so telling to check script which has all this baffling info.

Im sure this has been covered and I remember the problem being addressed in one of the tutorials on here, but there are so many tutorials I have no idea which one it is. So I wonder if anyone can help me out with the problem.

I have attached a smoothed polygon image of the gargoyle I am doing (don't worry I kept the low mesh polygon model ;OP)

Hope you guys can help. Once I sorted this problem, I will then add a stone texture to the model.
Thanks

honestdom 21-09-2008 11:13 PM

why do you want it as a sub-d model?

Bounce_X 21-09-2008 11:23 PM

Hi there

I work in polygons when adding detail. In subdivision it allows me to define the shape a lot easier, kinda like nurbs. Also when it comes to animating the character, if I animated the gargoyle whilst in polygon form it distorts funny whereas subdivisions tend to be more suitable for animation as far as I can work out.

honestdom 21-09-2008 11:27 PM

post the error message, someone might be able to help you out...

I believe you can skin characters to deform better once they are rigged and ready for animation... dont know how tho.

Bounce_X 22-09-2008 12:00 AM

Lol! You know what, just as I was doing what you suggested and copied and pasted the error message to post on here, the answer jumped right out at me and I was able to sort the problem. All I had to do was change the mesh face number to greater than the number of faces I had in the polygon model and hit convert.

I sometimes panic when things don't go according to plan.

Thanks for your help :O)

this was the message:
*****// Error: polyToSubdiv1 (Poly To Subdiv Node): Cannot create subdivision surface as the resulting surface would have more base mesh faces (2238) than the maximum allowed (1000).
// To increase maximum allowed, change Maximum Base Mesh Faces in Convert to Subdiv Options. // *****

Chirone 22-09-2008 12:11 AM

is the error something like this?

Quote:

polyToSubdiv -ap 0 -ch off -aut on -maxPolyCount 6000 -maxEdgesPerVert 32 |polySurface8|polySurfaceShape8;
// Error: polyToSubdiv1 (Poly To Subdiv Node): Cannot create subdivision surface as the resulting surface would have more base mesh faces (21848) than the maximum allowed (6000).
// To increase maximum allowed, change Maximum Base Mesh Faces in Convert to Subdiv Options. //
// Error: Command polyToSubdiv failed. Open Script Editor for details. //
you see where it says -maxPolyCount 6000? for you it probably says 1000 since that's the default
the error says that your mesh has too many polys for the sub-d algorithm to subdivide
this is solved by changing the "maximum base mesh faces". When you click Modify > Convert > Polygons to SubDiv click the box and you can change the limit there

read the first commented out line in the error message.

// Error: polyToSubdiv1 (Poly To Subdiv Node): Cannot create subdivision surface as the resulting surface would have more base mesh faces (21848) than the maximum allowed (6000).

this tells you that after the mesh ahs been converted to sub-d there will be 21848 polys (the number will be different for you), so this means you should change the "maximum base mesh faces" to 21848, although in practice you want to change it to a higher number, because you might make changes to the polygon mesh and then convert back to sub-d and get the same error again

my internet connection is so screwed up...
anyway, looks like you posted before i finished typing... :P
but my answer still applies

Bounce_X 22-09-2008 12:22 AM

LOL! Thanks very much for your post. That was indeed the problem I was facing.

Now I got to figure out how to make a stone texture using the maya hardware, I hate using photoshop to create some textures. If anyone has any advice on how to do this would be much appreciated. :O)

B

BennyK 22-09-2008 12:44 AM

If you have photoshop you better start learning how to use it since you WILL eventually need it to create textures. There are only a few variations you can create without file textures unless you like having very VERY long shading networks.
IF you don't have it then you should learn Gimp or something like that...
Benny

Bounce_X 22-09-2008 01:02 AM

Hey Benny

I understand and appreciate what you have said. I work as a graphic designer using photoshop, illustrator, Indesign and a few other applications, my knowledge on the software is fairly advanced.

Photoshop textures in maya however is just a little bit far advanced for me at the moment because Im still a noob to Maya in many senses, I just wanted to know how to get a stone texture using the maya hardware texturing only to allow me to get used to and understand its functions there.
I've tried creating photoshop textures in the past and they have all come out rather dodgy so I need to learn the basics of texturing first. :O)

So if there is a way of creating a stone effect in maya just by using the maya hardware texturing I'd love to know how to do it.

Cheers!