Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   when to update... (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27305)

arran 27-08-2007 09:01 PM

when to update...

so with maya 2008 just announced...

I was wondering - how often do people upgrade to the newest version of maya, how do you afford it and what version is everyone using?

I'm using maya 7 and still have a ton to learn so i don't plan to upgrade until I feel like I have the basic concepts under my belt...

BadG3r 28-08-2007 12:51 AM

problem with maya is.. don't know if they changed their policy, that you can only upgrade from 7 to 8. From 8.5 to 2008.

You cannot upgrade you maya 5 license to 2008... so you have to upgrade if you are in a production-like environment.

as for a single user I'd stay with the version till something that seems to have the worth to you to upgrade. but then its again plenty o money.

hope i'm wrong with the stated above...

happymat27 28-08-2007 02:31 AM

Hey there Arran,

Badger's right about the upgrade policy.

About when to upgrade.... any industry is competetive so if you're using Maya as a business tool then it would be wise to upgrade with the competition, you don't want to lose out on a contract because the company next door has the means to make a model/animation which you would struggle with because your tools aren't quite up to the job.

If you're using Maya as a hobbyist then there's no real pressure to upgrade. Learn what you can and when you feel it's time to move on then go for it.

Out of choice I would still be on Maya 7 if not for university and the fact that I want a job at the end of my studies.

That's my ramble anyway,

take it easy,

Mat.

gster123 28-08-2007 04:53 AM

Spot on Mat.

I started on maya 6 as I got a copy via uni.

I then upgraded to maya 8.5 when I started my PHD, as uni's got a platinum membership to autodesk and i'm classed as a member of staff i'll also get the upgrade.

I think it's not really a requirement to be up do date with the latest software, as its down to tallent/skills/ problem solving but it wouldnt harm to keep up to date with the changes.

I think I remember Jay saying that his studio was on maya 5.

gster123 28-08-2007 04:57 AM

Should also say that one great thing with maya which makes it so popular is the fact that you can write a tool, plug in, script etc, to overcome porblems.

If it was me though and I didnt get upgrades i would have still been happy with version 6!

arran 28-08-2007 09:23 AM

thanks guys :beer:

yeah - i'm planning to upgrade when i'm think i'm ready to look for a job - which i think is still some time off i'm afraid :)

I'm suprised to hear about the upgrade policy - i figured you would just get the latest version, otherwise what's the point? oh well, despite what I might think of the company i definitely agree that maya is fab!

:beer: