Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   advice on lighting (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8666)

xian 29-10-2003 02:33 AM

advice on lighting

1 Attachment(s)
G'day everyone.

I've been shootin my mouth off givin everyone my thoughts about thier work. I reckon its time I ask for some advice. I don't texture any of my work. really really hate it :banghead:

any coments would be a help, I really need lighting and camera placement advice.

xian

xian 29-10-2003 02:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
some of these are Maya & some 3d studio max
xian

xian 29-10-2003 02:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:beer:
xain

xian 29-10-2003 02:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:rolleyes:
xian

xian 29-10-2003 02:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:banghead:
xian

xian 29-10-2003 02:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:confused:
xian

silviapalara 29-10-2003 05:36 PM

xian, your work is truly beautiful! Exactly what kind of help do you need with lights and camera?

RickStefani 29-10-2003 06:01 PM

I like your style. I am not a very good lighter so I cam not going to be much help in that department.

polygon9000 29-10-2003 07:17 PM

Xian your work's nice and the lighting is not bad at all since it clearly shows the detail on your model but if you are going to primarily show your models then its good to have better staging and composing skills with the camera.
These skills can only be improved by observation.My composition skills were terrible until i started watching movies.Not hollywood in particular but movies that carry themselves on great cinematography and lighting. Also referring to books that deal with the above will help tremendously, mind you im talking about a permanent solution to improving skills related to lighting and composition.
One good excercise is to see a particular shot that you like in a film then roughly sketch out the shot on paper trying to replicate the exact composition in that frame.Like a storyboard frame.
There are lots of books out there regarding cinematography and lighting.If you do not want to invest in books then the internet is always open.Im sure there are tutorials out there on camera staging and lighting.I will try to look up some links that will be of help.Meanwhile some of the books are:

The Five C's of Cinematography: Motion Picture Filming Techniques
by Joseph V. Mascelli

Setting Up Your Shots: Great Camera Moves Every Filmmaker Should Know
by Jeremy Vineyard, Jose Cruz

Shot by Shot: Visualizing from Concept to Screen
by Steven D. Katz

Digital Lighting and rendering : Jeremy Birn

Some of the must see movies that may seem boring, but are phenomenal examples of the above and are a valuable source of study are:

Nostalghia : Andrei Tarkovsky
Three colours :red,green,blue : Krzysztof Kieslowski
Citizen Kane : Orson Welles
Amelie: Jean-Pierre Jeunet
City of Lost Children :Jean-Pierre Jeunet
Blade Runner : Ridley Scott

Well there you go...dont know if i have been of help here but hope that helps more in the long term.

Zyk0tiK 29-10-2003 11:25 PM

my only comment is "wow"

xian 30-10-2003 12:45 AM

thanks guys for the encouraging comments. It's been a long time since anyone has seen my stuff, without feed back you can only go so far.

polygon 9000: thanks heaps!!!! being a modeler & animator ive not studied how to present the work. you've been a huge help.

there are quite a few things that i have no understanding of at all:

colour-thats why all the work is grey, but I've found I like the style.

lighting- theres no much method to my lighting madness, i just drop as many lights in as my machine can handle. I need to understand light & shadow

camera shot / angle: I don't reckon that the shots I pick or the composition of the shot are effective to show the model in a more stylised & professional manner.

Now that I thinkabout it I reckon I need some advice on modeling as well.

thanks again

xian

xian 01-11-2003 01:01 AM

ciritic please

hey everyone!! please I need critics about anything, otherwise I don't know how to improve, even if you say it's the worst most unoriginal work you eva seen, that at least helps me.

thanks

xian