Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Dynamics & Special Effects (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Water Falls (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=559)

deviantdreamworks 24-07-2002 11:03 PM

Water Falls

How do i make a water fall i know how to make emmiter but it flows right over the edge then down like it has to much speed...but it has little speed...and alot of emission per second...Then it grows smaller...I need help.

:beer:,
Deviantdreams

Roman 24-07-2002 11:53 PM

when you say grows smaller you mean the particles die out right?
well you have to make the particles life span bigger.. allow them to live longer..:p
laterz.

deviantdreamworks 25-07-2002 12:13 AM

Can i do that for me? :D j/k

mtmckinley 14-08-2002 01:21 PM

You could try the Paint FX waterfall. It's really cool, but I'd probably only use it if you were looking just to stick a waterfall in the background, cuz it's fairly recognizable unless you mess with the colors and whatnot.

If you wanted objects to interact with the waterfall, you'd probably want to use particles.

ragecgi 10-09-2002 04:04 AM

Check out Star Wars EP 1 DVD...

Theres a shot in the behind the scenes stuff on the Star Wars Episode ONE DVD of one of the ILM compositors doing this very thing.

Check it out!

He basicly explains how he maps waterfall footage to curved planes positioned over the source footage combined with particles and displacements.

Pretty cool:)

Took me in directions I never would have thought of.

Also, if you are deadset on using ALL particles for your shot, you might wanna try adding a turbulence field, AND a drag field to the lip of your waterfall.
(the part where it curves downward)

Set the fields volume influence to a cube, and scale it to cover the horizontal length of your crest.

That way, you'll get better accumulation at the crest of the waterfall where waterfalls normally, (in SOME cases) get foamy, and misty and held-up before they begin to plummet to thier doom:)

Just another idea, but for reference, check out that DVD!

Lemmy 10-09-2002 03:23 PM

ahh ive seen that on the dvd, its dam cool how he does that.

uses a lil video of a waterfall, lil video of salt being poured, and some particles. Its amazing.

sdch1000 20-09-2002 04:57 AM

Maybe I'm blind, but I can't find where on the DVD this shot is located. I'd love to see this, exactly which menu of the DVD is this on.

Lemmy 20-09-2002 01:48 PM

jsut checked it..

ok on disc 2 go to the deleted scenes and documentarys>then go to the deleted scenes documentary,(on the left) skip ahead a couple of scenes to find the one about the waterfall sequence.

if you filck though each scenes documentary quickly, the waterfall one has Rick Mcallum spaeking at the start.

ragecgi 21-09-2002 02:45 PM

Thanks Lemmy!