Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Another Noobie Tutorial Question. (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13961)

Decipio 15-10-2004 03:47 PM

Another Noobie Tutorial Question.

Looking and downloading some of the free tutorials here, (which are the best I have found on the net by far!) I am a bit confused.

Which would be the one to start with? I have 0 3d experience...

I watched one on making a cartoon doggie, (Didn't try it, just watched it) and it seemed easy enough, some of the shortcuts He was doing I do not know (adding isobars?) but it seemed relitavely simple...

Could somone give me a bit of advice on where to start (on this website) to begin learning?

I would love to drop some cash to buy some of the other tutorials here, but dont want to "Skip" something that would be important for me to learn by just trying some of the more advanced ones.. I'm also scared i'll spend cash on something I wont be able to follow...

Thanks

Steven.

Kurt 15-10-2004 03:59 PM

Hi amd welcome to Sm... I would say depending on what you want to learn first is where to start.

For example.

If you want to learn how to model start off with trying the dog. Then once you feel comfrotable move on to some of the vip tuts or dvds.

Kurt

goosemage 15-10-2004 04:10 PM

I would suggest using the tutorials that come with maya first. Interface, interface, interface, navigating maya is a very important part of being productive.

Decipio 15-10-2004 04:25 PM

Thanks, wow.. quick replies...

Kurt: Thats cool, I was just scared I would "Skip" something important that I needed to know later... I guess Maya Isn't like that... I have a few books on order now from Amazon about Maya: Fundimentals and Modeling...

Goose: I must have missed them, the only tutorials I saw were the ones when you open up maya that shows you a bit about the interface.. Is that the ones your talking about? If I go to help/tutorials it just links me to the alias website - Which unless im just not looking in the correct place is much lower quality than these...

Steven...

mtmckinley 15-10-2004 05:23 PM

It wouldn't hurt to really just go ahead and download all the free tutorials and watch them a bit. Most of them go over basic things, with a few more intermediate/advanced ones.

They are free, afterall. :)

But yes, it'd be a good idea to get the hang of navigating the interface first and foremost.

goosemage 15-10-2004 06:25 PM

Of course videos are, I think, easier to learn from. I'm guessing your probobly using 6.0, if you go to help>tutorials, it should open a IE browser and connect to the documentation included with maya. I downloaded ple6.0 just to fiddle with, and the url is like this http://localhost:4447/Maya6.0PLE/en_...openTutorials. Don't copy/paste that, its just what the url should approximately look like. There should be three menus at the side, click those to open up further. These teach you basics, but you have to read them. If your trying to learn maya you should have alot of hours scheduled for learning anyway. Maya is powerful, but all the power in the world is useless if you don't know how to use it. ;)

Decipio 15-10-2004 07:18 PM

Thanks goose, just got home from lunch and tried it out again, not sure what I was hitting yesterday, but today when I hit help/tutorials it opens a big page with lots of links.. So you are correct, I'll start out learning that tonight, thank you again!

gohan1842 15-10-2004 09:08 PM

ok. really what it all comes doen to is this. as long as u just keep practicing and reading and watching tutorials,,,,,, u will most certainly have no problem getting use to maya and become great at it. so dont worry aoubt if ur never gonna learn none of this. just like everything else in the world it all just takes time and practice. in time ull find urself a pretty good modeler and look back on these times when u knew nothing about 3d.

Phopojijo 16-10-2004 02:41 AM

I would have recommended using PLE/Gmax to get used to modelling... I'm pretty sure the interface is the same (wouldn't know, I used Rhino all my time... just started using Maya to animate my Rhino Models... ... yes I do mention Rhino a lot :b)

You never know, you may like the 3ds max program better (BOO!!!) :b Coulda been better for you had you known BEFORE you bought maya though :b