Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Rolex Watch (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21281)

dilberts 01-05-2006 07:08 PM

Rolex Watch

1 Attachment(s)
I hope Mike won't mind, but there's no simplystudiotools forum, so I was hoping I could continue this thread here. Anyway, here's my curent work in progress. It's my first work with studio tools, and I've got to say I just LOVE that software!!! For a modeler who works mostly with NURB's, studio tools is simply amazing. It's pretty complicated to start to learn, but there's a lot in common with Maya, so the learning curve is not too bad. I'm really starting to try to make the shift towards my own design/product visualization work, so I'm gonna make this one accurate for a portfolio.

This is about 4 hours work so far, and it's nowhere near finished. I spent a lot of time in photoshop getting the textures right for the face and dial, so the actual modeling is about an hour. Studio tools rock!!

Here's two test renders with slightly different material/lighting settings:

dilberts 01-05-2006 07:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another test render:

mmoore5553 01-05-2006 07:14 PM

very nice work ...but one crit for those that cant read the time ..can you do a digital hahhaha kidding ..

great work as usual . looks so realistic .

MattTheMan 01-05-2006 10:33 PM

yeah- and deffinately #2 is more realistic.

dilberts you are a great hard surface modeler :beer:

magicsy 02-05-2006 05:43 PM

nice dilberts one thing i notice with a lot of watches is how u can never tell theres glass there. try get that sorted :)

Edit......
One second glance i notice a reflection from the glass but still needs some tweaking :)

bobalie 06-05-2006 04:04 PM

nice watch

bobalie 06-05-2006 04:09 PM

can I buy it? :D

marcusenberg 07-05-2006 07:18 PM

looking good as usual :)

am a really big fan of your car work, they all looke excellent and im looking forward for this watch to come together. already looking excellent

Gamestarf 07-05-2006 07:34 PM

Nice :attn:

dilberts 12-05-2006 07:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Added the main body and some of the links. Lots more to do with the details, but the main shape is there.

esion 12-05-2006 07:47 PM

Nice work my friend...its looking great.

dilberts 12-05-2006 08:03 PM

Thanks esion. One important thing I've gotten from this project so far is the relative difference between using NURB's and polys. Fact is, to do this model with polys would be an absolute nightmare, and it would never be as accurate as with NURB's. I think I'm pretty much a NURB's only modeler now. Once you get used to all the continuity tools available with NURBs, there's just no substitute for hard surface modeling. It seems like most modelers are reluctant to use NURBs because they are a little harder to use. You kinda have to think/plan ahead when you use them, as they're not as easy to tweak directly.

gster123 12-05-2006 08:05 PM

Damm good work man, I really need to strat using NURBS, I start a project using them, get stumped than got to polys, so I'm one of the people that you mean!

MattTheMan 12-05-2006 08:35 PM

damn, dude you are a friggin beast!

dilberts 13-05-2006 02:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, I added some details. The time changing knob took about 3 hours. It was a real tricky little piece. I also added the second time marks which really help to put the face of the watch in context. All I have to do now is the clasp, and some tiny details, and then I'll work on the rendering. Comments are welcome.