Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   :::Command Feedback line--?::: (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4201)

zipbobang 25-02-2003 07:19 PM

:::Command Feedback line--?:::

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and maya, but not new to 3D. Anyway I'm poly modeling a character in MAYA 4.5 and I keep seeing this message when simply selecting and moving a vertex, edge or face.

Warning: pCubeShape1 (Mesh Node): Tweaks can be undesirable on shapes with history.

I can undo the move that prompted that message and redo the exact same move and I don't get the message. Can anyone tell me what may be causing this, and if it really matters?

I can't seem to isolate what is actually prompting the message, becuase I'm only doing some very basic modeling.

Can I turn off the "history", and if so what is the up or downside of doing so.

Thanks,
Chad :confused:

dannyngan 25-02-2003 08:30 PM

You can ignore that warning. It shows up every once in a while when you're tweaking meshes. All it means is that if a shape has a history, your tweaks might not turn out the way you'd expect them to. Simple way to get around it is delete the history on your shape and then continue modeling. I have yet to encounter any instance where this causes a problem.

You can turn off history if you want. The upside is your file size will be smaller, and there is less chance of you getting weird errors because of something in the history. The downside is you can't go back and make changes to previous steps in the history. To use Max terminology, it would be like collapsing the modfier stack after every modifier and tweak you apply. I usually just delete the shapes history every so often as I work.

zipbobang 25-02-2003 08:35 PM

Oh I see...collapsing right well that's good everyonce and awhile as long as I specify it. Cool thanks danny.

So how do I turn it off or better yet delete it?

-chad

dannyngan 25-02-2003 08:42 PM

To turn it off, click the Construction History button in the top toolbar. It looks like a little script icon.

To delete the history on an object, go to Edit > Delete by Type > History.

zipbobang 25-02-2003 10:47 PM

simple enough...thanks!

mtmckinley 26-02-2003 03:18 AM

Yeah, I usually think of it as such:

Warning - "Just so you know, this might happen...." kinda thing.

Error - Something's messed up!

zipbobang 26-02-2003 08:59 PM

Right...yeah at first I ignored it until I found some faces on the inside Z plane of my model that I didn't put there. That area should have been completely hollow, cause by this point I had only begun to reshape a box after deleting half and mirroring it. I hadn't cut or sculpted any poly's so I'm still confused as to how these additional faces came to be.

Anyway I figuire it probably had something to do with that error, because after all those were undesirable results =) I still have much to learn about this tool.

-c