Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   AlfaRomeo 1938 Sport (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28461)

jsprogg 11-12-2007 03:58 AM

AlfaRomeo 1938 Sport

1 Attachment(s)
I thought I would have a go at a car since I have not attempted one yet.
I picked this because it looked a challenge since it had a lot of curves and of course it's a sexy beast :)

jsprogg 11-12-2007 03:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres my progress so far ...

evil_milk 11-12-2007 05:04 AM

How long did that take you?

jsprogg 11-12-2007 05:09 AM

So far I have been working on this for around 5 hrs total, I had a little trouble getting the curves to Birail correctly to get the right shapes but it's all a learning curve (no pun intended) for me as it's my first try at a car.

evil_milk 11-12-2007 05:11 AM

you've got talent my friend- post often.

DJbLAZER 11-12-2007 05:39 AM

Nice one.. looks a bit like the 313 (Donald Duck's car). Nice modelling so far.

gster123 11-12-2007 09:53 AM

Looking good John.

The front of the front wheel arch looks a bit like its flaring out rarther than being smooth. could be the lighting and the angle of the render though.

Mayaniac 11-12-2007 09:59 AM

Wow, this looks really good!

I LOVE THIS CAR!

I have to agree, the front Wheel well seems to be a touch flat at the front. Maybe it needs rounding out a bit... Then again it could be the Render!

Nice work :beer:

jsprogg 11-12-2007 08:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys, yes the front wheeel arch is ok it's just the angle of the render that makes it look off.
I did a little work on the headlamp and did a test render with no lighting as such just to see what it rendered like so here a quick pick.

jsprogg 12-12-2007 10:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
update on the grills.
There is no special lighting or render tests just a quick render to show modeling progress.

Grev_Mivlos 13-12-2007 01:15 AM

wow. Nice job so far. The headlights look good. Maybe they need some reflection though.

Looking forward to see this project done :beer:

arran 13-12-2007 02:03 AM

yeah - nice job mate and great choice - this is going to looking cool! :beer:

Lt Jim 13-12-2007 09:10 AM

It seems cars come a dime a dozen these days. Most are these "modern" sports cars (which, like modern military aircraft, I find aesthetically wanting), but your choice of a 1938 AR is brilliant! I like the car, and I like the way it's coming out! I really ought to do more NURBS modelling myself! :-)

Great job! Keep us posted!

jsprogg 23-12-2007 04:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I worked on the car for a couple of hours today , here is an update.

Mayaniac 23-12-2007 08:04 PM

Looking pretty good so far jsprogg...

But theres a view things that are slightly amiss....

The front air intakes on the hood do not match the reference image you posted, also the air intake strip that runs along the length of the hood (on the top and sides) seems to be slightly off shape. Maybe they should be thiner at the front.

Also, the front of the rear Fender (Where you can see the horizontal intakes) needs to be thicker and broader. Expanding the width of the Rear wheel well/Fender.

Also the area along the side of the car in between the front Wheel well, and the rear. Needs to be allot less pronounced (perhaps get rid of the crease) and it also needs to be more rounded, and smooth.... maybe even slightly thicker even.

Also the the front corner of the hood needs to be even more rounded.

The rear wheel well seems to be a bit close to the body of the car.... maybe this is just the image that I'm looking at...

Also the underside of the front of the car needs to be brought down.... on your model the underside tucks up under the front. If you look at the reference you'll see that it actually flows down as it gradually flows back under the front.

Well, I'm sorry if it seems like I'm trying to dismantle your model, but I'm just pointing out a few little problem. Most of which can be fixed with very little effort.

Also one more thing.. try and find as many refs as you can for the car your going to model.... Though I'm sure someone with as much experience as you might find this statement offensive especially coming from a noob!!! But I've seen way to many people try to model a car (or anything else for that matter) with only one reference image.

One other thing... i know that the renders you are doing are just quick no time spent on them renders, but the paint shader you are using for your car is extremely off!
As you can see in the ref, this car has been painted with the old style paint.... which is more of a thick acrylic glossy type of paint..... the paint you are using is thin and full of paint flakes.... Though again i know this is just a quick set up simply to show off the modeling.

Also i find it better to post Clay renders as this shows of the model at it's purest form.... and all the details are clear, and people can make better judgment on the model.
With a glossy paint, it can be hard to see any problems in the mesh.

AGAIN!!! I'm sorry if this all sounds rude and evil!!!

I'm a noob at modeling, and at Cars in general. And i enjoy seeing good artist model awesome cars, as it inspires me to stay in the game, ... and this one is one of the most awesome cars I've seen someone model...
So I'm just trying to help out anyway i can.

Nice work so far, and I'm looking forward to updates!!!

:beer: