Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finished Work (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   First Image Ever!! Warning N00b Pic (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9194)

XanthZeax 30-11-2003 12:59 AM

First Image Ever!! Warning N00b Pic

This is my first image, so don't flame me too badly and umm yeah tell me what you think.http://xanthzeax.tripod.com/m001sr_nov_29_03

XanthZeax 30-11-2003 01:01 AM

Can somone tell me how I could get the render to look better? I didn't save the maya version so, just for future pictures.

Pony 30-11-2003 01:24 AM

well you could tern up the Edge Anti-aliasing in the render globals.

Window > Rendering Editers > Render Globals
there is a drop down for Anti-aliasing Quality. You can change the Presets or the Anti-Aliasing Quality.

looks kinda cool. a army.

XanthZeax 30-11-2003 08:10 AM

omg you called it kinda cool

*bows down*

Alan 01-12-2003 09:23 PM

dont be too hard on yourself, you've covered many of the basics that any noob should and that's great. I know everybody says it but you should have seen my first model! my god it was awful! (and done in max incidently!!) ;) I will see if I can dig out some old models for you to laugh at :)

well done and keep it up you'll be surprising yourself beforelong believe me!
Alan

Kevin 01-12-2003 09:41 PM

its great that you had the guts to post mate!! you have done the best thing you could have done, everyone started somewhere!!!

keep it up mate - you have a good attitude

XanthZeax 02-12-2003 02:29 AM

Thanks Alot
I really appreciate it.

(damn man, these forums, so damn n00b-friendly)

thanks alot!

Sil-Valeor 06-12-2003 01:17 AM

Yeah it looks cool. Not the best model I have seen, but it's good for a begginer. And as some said, everyone have to start somewhere. With time, you'll get better. It is funny how everyone at the begging thinks their models are the worstest model on the world. That's how I felt anyway. I'm stilla noob , but I'm getting better and so will you. Just practise. And don't be too hard on you.

Keep it up !

neoarcadia 07-12-2003 09:22 PM

Very cool, makes me want to watch StarWars haha.. Looks like you've got quite an army there. There's always room for improvement, but over-all you did great, shoot you even textured! :bgreen: Before i started Maya (i was looking for an AutoCAD book, but left with Maya 4.5 Fundamentals from Barnes haha), i had some pretty whacked out things done in Max 3 that would easily change your own opinion on your first render.

dave_baer 08-12-2003 09:05 PM

Learn lighting. especially 3 point lighting. That's the main thing you'll want to bring some realism into your renders. Also texturing. Get those two and your models/scenes will look kick ass! :D

XanthZeax 08-12-2003 09:06 PM

Thanks Alot
I just got a huge photoshop tutorial thing so First I'm going through that, then I'm gonna return to Maya. Thanks Alot I really appreciate it.

flipfl0p 09-12-2003 07:34 AM

Yeah I'm a n00b too, I must say, you're doing really good so far. What's really helped me learn Maya was buying a maya fundamentals book, and viewing the movies here at SM. But most of all, I just keep trying and trying, eventually we will grasp it!!!
keep it up!

XanthZeax 09-12-2003 08:51 PM

I got 2 cd's with 4 hour's of video to teach me maya and 8 cd's with I dunno HOW much video to teach me photoshop, It'll take me EONS to go through that, I might get the fundamentals book too, and these tutorials seem to help a bunch too. Me and you flipflop one day we show all these gurus!! lolol :D :D

rich 10-12-2003 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by XanthZeax
I got 2 cd's with 4 hour's of video to teach me maya and 8 cd's with I dunno HOW much video to teach me photoshop, It'll take me EONS to go through that, I might get the fundamentals book too, and these tutorials seem to help a bunch too. Me and you flipflop one day we show all these gurus!! lolol :D :D
My learning method that has really paid off has been:

(1) Go through some sort of Maya Basics CD set (I can recommend one)
(2) Go through the CD lessons
(3) Experiment with what you learned
(4) Go through the CD lessons again
(6) Download a tutorial off SimplyMaya
(7) Play around with what you've learned so far
(8) do number (6) and (7) over and over and over... ad infinitum

My problem is the next step:

(9) set yourself a project that you'd be happy spending time on and keep going at it until you are happy.

XanthZeax 10-12-2003 08:38 PM

I'm going through the Gnomon ones, the 2 that I have, 1 is the Maya basics, another is for NURBS, I'm hopeing to get more. Right now I don't have time to watch them/experitment with what I learn, because finals are coming up and all this other stuff, any recommendations what so ever will be welcome. I like the steps, I think maybe newbies like me lack direction, steps like that help, thanks alot.