Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Mythological Gods - BabyDuck - normal (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3728)

BabyDuck 03-02-2003 08:45 PM

Mythological Gods - BabyDuck - normal

i am going to do Dionysos, son of Zeus and Semele. he is the god of wine and vegetation. not completely sure how i want to make him - but as satyrs love wine too, i will ask my d&d monsters manual for a satyr. i make a sketch of it soon.

Garry1953 03-02-2003 09:53 PM

Should prove an interesting model.

BabyDuck 04-02-2003 09:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
ok, i sketched a bit - and got it into computer. out of lack of scanner, it is a cam shot. and i figured out, if i dont sketch only with pencil, it gets better (added some coal for shading).

undseth 04-02-2003 09:39 AM

aaaah the satyr. Isn't that a cross of a human and a goat. nm :)

Kevin 04-02-2003 10:01 AM

nice start duck. This one should be fun to do

BabyDuck 04-02-2003 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by undseth
aaaah the satyr. Isn't that a cross of a human and a goat. nm :)
yes it is. and i know that Dionysos (Bacchus as roman name) is usually in described like this:
From here:
Quote:

Dionysos is one of the gods most frequently found on Greek pottery. This is because he is the god of wine, and many of the pots painted with pictures of him are for drinking wine. He has a black beard and a long robe, and often wears a wreath made of ivy. Ivy plants were sacred to Dionysos, and wreaths were worn by Greek men when they went to parties. He carries a kantharos - a drinking cup with big handles - and sometimes a thyrsos - a stick with a pine cone on top.

well the back beard i will put on, but maybe not the robes. and to my imagination the satyr fits better, as it has some connections to nature ...

BabyDuck 04-02-2003 08:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i went maya with the model today, and started with the horns. and had some fun with animation snapshot :)

ereitz 05-02-2003 12:16 AM

nice horns babyduck - i like that organic modeling!

acidoz 06-02-2003 09:54 AM

I'm looking forward to this one. Nice horns!

-<{ JB }>- 06-02-2003 09:56 AM

mmmm very nice. Is it NURBS?

BabyDuck 06-02-2003 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by -<{ JB }>-
mmmm very nice. Is it NURBS?
yes it is. i took a nurbs circle and animated it from start to end, took an animation snapshot and lofted. it is rotated twice - once spiralling up, and then the circle itself rotates so the same points are outside. actually i took the animation snapshot in the beginning and adjusted the animation, modeling with it. first idea was to only loft it to get 2 isoparms on the sides as 2 rails for later birailing the horns - and then i found out that i just need to modify the circle to shape a flat inside and a round outside of the horn. the loft right now is beziers, but as it is a loft, it does not matter - it would look equal in poly, nurbs or subd - but nurbs have the advantage that they are smooth.

el_newty 07-02-2003 06:58 AM

till now you've got a good theme... :)
nice start...
keep it up

BabyDuck 07-02-2003 01:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i tried to make the arm - but it does not work. i will take kevins advice and scan my reference in.

BabyDuck 08-02-2003 06:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok, redone the arm with a reference now. all in nurbs. and it is the left arm.

Roman 08-02-2003 06:34 PM

looking nice m8.. keep it up :)