Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   teaser poster for a animated short (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25027)

jali 11-02-2007 09:36 PM

teaser poster for an animated short

1 Attachment(s)
hi

here's some teaser posters for an animated short i'm doing for my final year at university

jali 11-02-2007 09:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
sorry for the double post i dont know how to upload multiple pics

11-02-2007 10:06 PM

WhatÕs it going to be about?

jali 11-02-2007 10:20 PM

well lets see, you've heard of vanhelsing have'nt you?, well my short will be a parody based on the well known character, but with a difference, the main character is going to be an indian,
VANHEL-SINGH, do you get it, it's supposed to be funny, you know how most indians have the surname singh, it's a play on words, my animatic cracked everyone up at unversity

wasatch5_sparticus 11-02-2007 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jali
well lets see, you've heard of vanhelsing have'nt you?, well my short will be a parody based on the well known character, but with a difference, the main character is going to be an indian,
VANHEL-SINGH, do you get it, it's supposed to be funny, you know how most indians have the surname singh, it's a play on words, my animatic cracked everyone up at unversity

I like it! I haven't seen vanhelsing, but I'm excited to see how your movie goes!!

Sparticus

jali 11-02-2007 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by wasatch5_sparticus
I like it! I haven't seen vanhelsing, but I'm excited to see how your movie goes!!

Sparticus

thanks for the support hopefully i'll have it finished in about three months time, i'll upload once it's complete

12-02-2007 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jali

I see, and yes I have seen the movie, and it is pretty good. Good luck on the short!

BTW, what college do you go to?

jali 12-02-2007 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jr.Who
I see, and yes I have seen the movie, and it is pretty good. Good luck on the short!

BTW, what college do you go to?

hi

i attend the university of Wolverhampton it's in England

gster123 12-02-2007 09:00 AM

Are you going to post it up herer when you finish it?

Be looking forward to seeing it.

On the images they look very dark (which I assume your going for) but I think that some nice lighting so you get some highlights/ not total black shaddows would look good and set the character off.

jali 12-02-2007 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by gster123
Are you going to post it up herer when you finish it?

Be looking forward to seeing it.

On the images they look very dark (which I assume your going for) but I think that some nice lighting so you get some highlights/ not total black shaddows would look good and set the character off.

hi
yeah i'll upload here when i'm done, and thanks for the lighting advice

NeoStrider 12-02-2007 11:07 AM

well as far as the posters are concerned... i think i'd treat it more like a movie poster. at the moment what you've got are a few renders with some words put over top. a teaser makes people want to go see it, and so far i'm not interested. you should take a look at some movie poster references and create a collage with a decent design. add some phrases hinting to the plot that make people want to know more. stuff like that. otherwise, you've just got a few (poorly lit) w.i.p. renders. show your stuff off, man! be proud of it! give it some production value!

jali 12-02-2007 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by NeoStrider
well as far as the posters are concerned... i think i'd treat it more like a movie poster. at the moment what you've got are a few renders with some words put over top. a teaser makes people want to go see it, and so far i'm not interested. you should take a look at some movie poster references and create a collage with a decent design. add some phrases hinting to the plot that make people want to know more. stuff like that. otherwise, you've just got a few (poorly lit) w.i.p. renders. show your stuff off, man! be proud of it! give it some production value!
i apreciatte the crit, i'm still trying to sort the lighting out, i'll try to make a better poster

NeoStrider 12-02-2007 12:05 PM

cool man, i look forward to it.

jali 12-02-2007 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by NeoStrider
cool man, i look forward to it.
hi
could you offer some advise on getting better lighting as thats one of my weaker points

NeoStrider 12-02-2007 12:47 PM

well, a three-point lighting setup is typical in showcasing single models. you use a key light, around 45 degrees from the front of your model with shadows turned on. then on the opposite side, a fill light with a lower intensity with no shadows turned on. then directly behind your model, a backlight, to create a rim (which helps to define the shape of your model against the black background). these should be spotlights or point lights. stray away from directional or area lights for this lighting setup.

at the same time, you could just go into the attribute editor of your camera, under the environment tab change the background color, and then render in mental ray with final gather turned on.