Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Optimizing Maya for Dual Core (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24843)

ryokukitsune 29-01-2007 07:17 PM

Optimizing Maya for Dual Core

I'm not a nuwb but I do have a question and this seems the most apropreate place to ask this.

I have Maya 7 running on my Dual Core system and it runs pretty good untill you get to some of the more involved shaders, functions, ect ect. these functions didnt chug this hard on my single core system before i updated machines.

I'm wondering if anyone knows how to optimize maya for dual core processes or if maya has a patch that fixes it (checked discreet's site and came up empty)

p.s. before anyone asks, Educational version. Tech support inheritly sucks for EV. I know it did when i owned a copy of Max and now that Maya is run by discreet I imagine they change their policies to match the support system of Max in it full crappy glory.

signed,

Ryoku

mirek03 30-01-2007 01:37 AM

Ryoku??? my wifes name is Ryoko!

danotronXX 30-01-2007 04:32 AM

I also upgraded to a dual core pentium d 930 few months ago and performance seemed very satisfactory for me. THe only optimizating I can think of is during batch renders, you can select multiple processors instead of one but besides that I dont know any other.

The Architect 30-01-2007 06:47 AM

This is a bit odd. All versions of Maya should work better on computers with more than one processor or core and there should be no need for any optimising. May I ask what the specs are concerning both your computers?

ryokukitsune 30-01-2007 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by The Architect
This is a bit odd. All versions of Maya should work better on computers with more than one processor or core and there should be no need for any optimising. May I ask what the specs are concerning both your computers?
Amd Athlon 64 x2 4800+ (2.4Ghz)
Nvidia Quadro Fx 3450/4000 (256mb)
SB X-fi

610GIG (110,500 gig) 85% captivity
2 gig mem.

XP Sp2
Maya 7 Edu (2 year licenes, 3 month left)

My problem isnt with rendering per-se . it renders fine and damn fast considering all the hassle it goes threw to refresh the viewport changes. I can make changes to shaders in realtime so long as the hypershade is full screen. although as soon as I render or display geometry any updates zap my performance to a very low number ^^;

mirek03 30-01-2007 09:46 PM

i have both single and dual computers with maya, both work fine, dual better without any particular fix as such, I just installed it as per usual.??

I have a dual core mac but I cant be bothered having maya on three computers?

what Im saying is I think there is no 'use multiple processors ' in maya. when in dual only 50% of the processor is working during render on mine, as opposed to 100% on single

gster123 31-01-2007 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mirek03
i

what Im saying is I think there is no 'use multiple processors ' in maya. when in dual only 50% of the processor is working during render on mine, as opposed to 100% on single

Mirek, in the render menu if you click render frame theres options tu use "all processors" of specify how many threads you want to use.

Also in the batch render options you can do the same, so you can use all processors, threads or what ever you have. My dual core PC runs at 100% when batch or single frame rendering when its got use all available processors ticked and 50% when only 1 is used.

mirek03 31-01-2007 02:34 AM

Gster to the rescue again.., thanks mate :) didn't think it was always like that, didn't think one could render farm and so I mistakenly thought that referred to processors, still a lot to learn and so little time :)