Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Oriental Lamp (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20172)

Sephiroth II 07-02-2006 09:11 PM

Oriental Lamp

1 Attachment(s)
I am making an oriental lamp and I need help already with some lighting. I wanted to place a light to see how it would look but I am a failure when it comes to lighting. I am really good at lighting in 3DsMax but in Maya I have a lot of trouble. Here is what I have so far:

Sephiroth II 07-02-2006 09:15 PM

Lighting

I want to do light coming out of the top like a spot light or something but when I tried it came out horrible and sometimes the light didn't even show up. I resized it and changed some settings and everything. I also want to make the inner sides to be translucent with light showing behind them. How would I go about this? :angery: :headbang: :headbang: :hug: :confused:

gster123 07-02-2006 09:28 PM

try grouping some directional lights together, say 6 or so, with different rotations so they almost make up an ambient light. (that way you get a nice, odd, ambient/point light.

After that id say to make the sides slightly transparent so the light shows throgh and see what it looks from there.

Thats what i'd have a go at

Sephiroth II 07-02-2006 11:45 PM

but see...when I did that, they lit up my entire lamp really brightly even at 1 intensity. It didn't work so well.

gster123 08-02-2006 01:12 PM

Just turn down the intensity of the lights, 1 is sometimes quite a high setting

Sephiroth II 08-02-2006 07:31 PM

ok, so I made the light dimmer however it still lights up the outside and the inside of my lamp as opposed to just the inside...:confused: :confused: :confused:

MattTheMan 08-02-2006 07:53 PM

Howabout adding shadows :p

gster123 08-02-2006 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sephiroth II
ok, so I made the light dimmer however it still lights up the outside and the inside of my lamp as opposed to just the inside...:confused: :confused: :confused:
Could you post a shot please? Its a bit hard to visulise whats going on.

Cheers

Sephiroth II 12-02-2006 08:28 PM

Shadows are on. Here is a picture of intensity 0.02 when the lights are in the middle of the lamp:

gster123 12-02-2006 08:48 PM

Is the default light off??

Could you put it into a 3 sided cube made from a blinn so that the light bounces off and we can have a look at where the lights cast from. Without the floor/walls its a bit hard to see whats going on with the shadows/ lights/relfections etc.

Cheers

Kartzan 13-02-2006 08:24 PM

Well, one of your problems might be your trying to light the entire scene with just the light from inside the lamp. If i were to go about solving the problem, I'd probably set up a 3 point lighting system and then introduce the light in the center of the lamp and crank up the intensity. Also, play with the materials to get them the way you want them.

Sephiroth II 14-02-2006 03:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a 3-sided cube. A bottom and two sides. The lighting blacked out the bottom cube and the lighting is right in the center of the cube. The lighting is the six directional lights in one group facing different directions.

Sephiroth II 14-02-2006 04:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the light itself in the cube. I didn't know you could turn default light off BTW. How do I?

Sephiroth II 14-02-2006 04:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
srry about this but earlier on I posted a picture of a 0.02 intensity light on my lamp. I accidentally deleted the pic so here it is again...

Kartzan 14-02-2006 05:43 PM

As soon as you introduce a light into the scene, the default lighting goes away. I dont really understand what it is your trying to do. Are you just rtying to have light come out of the top? If to, just make a directional or point light and add a fog effect to it. I'm having a difficult time trying to picture what it is your trying to do.