Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Elephant (surprise!) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30685)

elephantinc 14-08-2008 10:07 AM

Baby Elephant

1 Attachment(s)
I making a baby elephant this time
its still got a long way to go but any c&c?

Also whats the best way to do the eyelids? seperate geometry or the same? are they connected at the sides?

elephantinc 14-08-2008 10:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
smoothed:

elephantinc 14-08-2008 10:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Trunk, the only bit im happy with so far

Chirone 14-08-2008 02:11 PM

aww, it looks so little :)

also looks sleepy with the eye lid

as for whether the eye lid should be seperate or not, i think people generally have eyelids attached to the mesh

probably because when you animate it, it will look smoother and more natural (how you would animate an eyelid is beyond me atm, but im guessing either smooth bind to a joint or bind to a lattice...)

but even if it was a still then you'd probably still have it as part of the head so it looks smooth when rendered

Mayaniac 14-08-2008 06:33 PM

Thats cute!

Modeling looks good. You have a couple of Tris on the trunk. Thats why your getting those small creases when smoothed.

As for the eye lids. You would normally have the eye lids separate if you were modeling a cartoon character, and have the eye lids attached if you were doing a realistic character.

So I guess you can decide from that, and then try and figure out how to animate it ;)

Looking forward to more.

elephantinc 14-08-2008 11:00 PM

Thanks guys
yeah i just put the tri's there while i work on shape, ill sort the out later

ill probably do the eyelid joined

the main problem now is im not sure what i want the final thing to look like so its a bit difficult now......

BennyK 15-08-2008 01:38 AM

The trunk looks really nice, but it's too long. you should shorten it a bit so it almost touches the ground when not stretched. also the head is a bit too big and the legs bit too short.

Nice start overall
Benny

LauriePriest 15-08-2008 02:21 AM

I think you need to get some serious reference imagery, how much are you planning the modelling?

Get as much picture reference as you can, try and get side front and top views, a three quater would help too.

Look at the main muscle groups and bone structures, try and think where the edge loop placement should be, draw them directly on your reference, or even print a copy out and plan on that, note down possible problem areas, and the best way to approach the model.

elephantinc 15-08-2008 02:48 AM

Unless curled up a baby elephants trunk can easily reach the ground but the legs are too short

this isnt really supposed to be realistic, maybe a bit cartoony

elephantinc 15-08-2008 03:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Small update
extended legs slightly, tucked up stomach where legs come down, finished eyelid, done more work on eye and sorted some of the creasing (but not properly yet)

elephantinc 15-08-2008 04:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ive modeled the tounge, it wont really be used much i dont think.

Im not sure if i should model teeth and tush's (small tusks), you never can really see elephants teeth that much unless you open their mouths and fold back skin to look for them so ill probably leave them.

UPDATE: done a bit more mouth work

LauriePriest 15-08-2008 05:44 AM

Um, you still need to look at reference for cartoon work, infact especially so.

Gen 17-08-2008 06:42 AM

I agree with that, I think whats distinctive about the cartoony look are the exaggerated proportions and movements.

elephantinc 19-08-2008 05:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
small update
ive been working on the shape of the back a bit the head neck and upper body are still way off though

elephantinc 19-08-2008 06:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Been working on the front