Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Power Animator! (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7701)

Renderizer 29-08-2003 12:38 PM

Power Animator!

On eBay germany, someone sells this:

Silicon Graphics Indy XZ Workstation
----------------------------------------------

Includes:

Hardware:
-------------

R5000 180Mhz CPU
256MB Memory
2GB System Disc
GR2xZ Graphicsboard
20" High Resolution Monitor
ext. SCSI CD Laufwerk
ext. SCSI Drive 4.5 GB
Camera
Keyboard
Mouse

Software:
------------

IRIX 6.2
Alias-Wavefront Power Animator 8.0
Photoshop 3.0
Illustrator 5.5 (all with legal license)

All this for €101,- (with five more days to go)

Er...:confused:

Renderizer 29-08-2003 12:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic...

genius995 29-08-2003 01:09 PM

The hardware isn't that expensive anymore... this is a quite old workstation... but the software... I think the software is worth more than that :)

I've got such a workstation at home... It's not fast or anything... I though it just would be fun to have ;)

Renderizer 29-08-2003 04:59 PM

Yeah, that's the very reason why I'm scanning eBay for SGI stuff.

The Indy is pretty dated, but Alias PowerAnimator 8... at least it's a cool collectors item.

Sometimes eBay has some really funky SGI stuff , like:

SGI Octane2
----------------
400Mhz
VPRO 8 Graphics 128MB (Top notch!)
1GB RAM
36GBHdd
IRIX 6.5.20

Sets you back €3.299.

Not bad, as this system comes with a state-of-the-art graphics subsystem.

Or take a look at this.

This is the first step to your own Inferno system... :D

You only need to buy the software...

Ok. Back to my AMDs... :(

dragonfx 29-08-2003 06:35 PM

lately the damn amd overheats (63ºc) shuts down and restarts saying that windows had a catastropic error... but this only happens on one widows (i have two installs of the same windowsXP on the same pc, one in each hardisk) but with the other one the damn thing doesnt overheats nor randomly shuts down... any clue on what exactly is causing that xp install to make the processor unstable?

dragonfx 29-08-2003 06:48 PM

Hey renderizer, i visited molinare a time ago and they told me mayaers and infernists fight for the use of processors... (and as the maya guys are more nerdish with unix they win:)... until someone goes to his desk complaining that the two infernos go slooooow:))

For what i know of inferno its kinda a mix between composition and editig package (kinda avid+combustion elevated to the 3rd power... but essentially just more bells n whistles...)

What on earth inferno uses that much power for? does it makes something else? particles? someone can shed some light on inferno for me?

(i mean once the footage is loaded to ram combustion doesnt takes that much processing power for doing things...)

Renderizer 29-08-2003 07:02 PM

Well, Flint/Flame/Inferno are actually MIGHTY systems, and Combustion is merely a rather pale shadow of FFI's Action module.

FFI is a compositing app, right. But we're talking realtime here.

It's used for pretty high profile stuff. You can have your client standing behind you while you work, and you won't have to wait for anything.

Gorgeous hardware, mighty software!

Whatever you throw at it, FFI is sure to handle it:

-work in 3D space
-3d/2d paticles
-3d displacement
-bicubics
-HD
-Resolution independent
-...ah, stuff it!

Take a look here for more information (be sure to take the online tour).

dragonfx 30-08-2003 07:19 AM

wonder how one gets to be contracted as an inferno user, with that theres no possibility to learn outside the production facility...
Yet i must acknowledge that working on an inferno room its a wonderful work, the only problem is that (as you say) you do it with the client watching your back and constantly annoying you :D
Example:
"i want it to have more freshness" and you wondering what on earth that means... while thinking that hes paying the production facility a Pc or so each hour he stays here...

Renderizer 01-09-2003 05:12 PM

There are some universities/training facilities offering FFI and Smoke/Fire training.

But I'd wager that these are a tad pricey...:rolleyes: