Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   New To SM (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34207)

SlushyNanook 30-06-2010 06:16 PM

New To SM

Hello!
My name is Nanook and I am learning Autodesk Maya 2011 for a job application to VALVe. I need some pointers,hints and just some basic help with just about everything at this point and making friends would help this as well. My goal is to make a running wolf.

So far, I have created a small butterfly that flutters it's wings and flies in a small path I created for it. Simple, right? Well that's where I started so far. If anyone has any good advice for making a dog or wolf shape, I am always willing to learn.

Also: If I ever post in the wrong area, please feel free to tell me otherwise. I tend to stay to myself but always like to introduce myself to the community and sometimes get some extra help and guidance.

Thank you for anyone who can help me!

~Nanook

stwert 30-06-2010 06:24 PM

There's a free cartoon dog tutorial on this site which will definitely put you in the right direction. Welcome to Simply Maya!

SlushyNanook 30-06-2010 06:27 PM

Wonderful! This is very much out of my comfort zone. I have never worked 3D on a computer before so I am very lost. I know Photoshop fairly well, but when I applied for a job it required Maya. I guess I'm just trying to learn but a lot of the tutorials I stumbled over didn't really explain much to me- as far as what to click and where. So I found myself starting on a project and soon after needing to discard of it because I wasn't sure where else to go.

Thank you for responding and the warm welcome! I will check out the tutorials for the dog!

murambi 30-06-2010 08:29 PM

welcome welcome i guarantee this is one of the most helpful sites out there for noobs

SlushyNanook 30-06-2010 09:13 PM

It seems pretty helpful. This is something I have always wanted to learn and now I have an opportunity to do so.

Thanks again~

Perfecto 30-06-2010 10:56 PM

Welcome aboard m8

bullet1968 01-07-2010 09:58 AM

Welcome aboard mate..hope you have fun here and be part of this great community. Try the glass jug tutorial as well..very simple and quite a suprise at how you can make glass. The cartoon Dog is relatively easy and fun.

I am a noob as well and have only been doing it for 5 months...I couldnt have done or advanced to where I am without the people here mate..they are the most helpful kind around here.

Check out also Gnomons Maya basics disc 1 if you can get it..no models but a real rundown of all the buttons menu's etc etc. Then come back here and grab some tutorials....its great fun man.

Good luck and hope the job comes in

cheers bullet

jsprogg 01-07-2010 04:19 PM

welcome to SM , you will find that for a new user this is a great resource for info.
A running wolf seems a little optimistic for a new user since you are going to have to learn not only to model well ( i'm talking good topology for good deformation) but to UV map and texture and also to rig the character and animate it.
Pretty much the whole show in one go, however if you game im willing to help with questions and problems you face and i know several other will too. By the way what is the timeline for completion of the wolf ? ...Good luck with the project too.

NextDesign 02-07-2010 05:15 AM

Welcome mate!

I agree with jsprogg. One of the biggest mistakes new people make, is to be over-ambitious. People that just start and say "I want to make something like the shots in star wars" will quickly burn out, and get frustrated as the software "isn't doing it properly", or something along those lines. If you wish to apply at Valve, it will take many years of hard work, as it's a very competitive industry.

With that out of the way, if you're willing to put in the effort, we'll gladly help guide you to your dream. :)

Again, welcome aboard. You'll like it here :)