Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Programming (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Danny's UV tools ROCK!!! (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5961)

ragecgi 25-05-2003 08:49 PM

Danny's UV tools ROCK!!!

HOLY CRAP!!!

I finally got a chance to start texturing part of my ARGUS ship model, and just watching the UV editor window while the UVLayout script is running was SOOOO fricken COOL!!

Kudos to you and all who worked on it!!!

It has turned what I thought was going to be a month or longer texturing process, into probably about a week!

dannyngan 25-05-2003 11:57 PM

Thanks Izzy! Glad to hear you like the scripts. :)

Kurt 26-05-2003 12:32 AM

I cant get them to work... then again i suck=( not good with mel.. make a tut for me...... Muhahahaha

dannyngan 26-05-2003 12:49 AM

Kurt, what's not working with the scripts? If you followed the directions in the readme file, everything should work ok.

Kurt 26-05-2003 12:57 AM

Yeah im just slow heheheh.. im dyslexic, and some times what should be easy gives me trouble=(...

ragecgi 26-05-2003 01:08 AM

question...

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, now that my uv's are laid out almost, (hehe... I said laid, hehe..)
I'm not done yet, but I wanted to ask you now befor I continue to possibly uv myself into a corner that I cant get out of.

Below is a shot of them on my unsmoothed cabin to my ship model. (not quite done tweaking details yet tho.

Eventually, I wanna have the pieces welded together to make one big piece, (like you did on your test character)
..or even a few large pieces, so I can export it to PS, paint it, then import it back to Maya.

I wanted to ask if I'm starting with a LOT of shaders, then I join all the major UV pieces that can be joined, how do I know what shader belongs to the lager, newly joined UV piece(s)?

..so that I can know what shader to put the image onto.

Thanks for any info!

dannyngan 26-05-2003 01:26 AM

Well, it really doesn't matter too much which shaders are on the faces. The vast number of shaders generated by my scripts are simply there for the purposes of projection mapping. Once that is done, you don't need them anymore. What I generally do is assign a completely new shader to the entire shape and just delete all of the now unused colored lamberts. If you need to find out which shader is assigned to a particular face, you can use getMaterial.mel for that.

ragecgi 26-05-2003 01:45 AM

DUH!!! my bad:)

Got it:)

Thanks man, and if I have any other q's, I'll either pm ya, or most likely ask you in irc while I'm doin it:)

ragecgi 26-05-2003 08:58 AM

One last thing...

Your shader tip worked a charm:)

However, after spending about 4 hours tweaking uv's, I thought of something. (doh!!)

Um, should I be selecting faces, and running your scripts on my object AFTER smoothing it?
..or before smoothing?

I ask because after doing a uv snapshot of my unsmoothed object uv's, I plopped a test texture in it & saved it out as a tif, then I applied that back to the color slot of my shader, and did a test render, and...

It was garbled a bit?

Just wondering:)

kbrown 26-05-2003 01:05 PM

File -> Optimize Scene Size also gets rid of unused render nodes. Be sure to check the options so you don't accidentally delete something important...

Kurt 26-05-2003 01:11 PM

Izzy.. thanks dude its working now=)

ragecgi 26-05-2003 05:28 PM

NP:)

dannyngan 26-05-2003 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ragecgi
One last thing...

Your shader tip worked a charm:)

However, after spending about 4 hours tweaking uv's, I thought of something. (doh!!)

Um, should I be selecting faces, and running your scripts on my object AFTER smoothing it?
..or before smoothing?

I ask because after doing a uv snapshot of my unsmoothed object uv's, I plopped a test texture in it & saved it out as a tif, then I applied that back to the color slot of my shader, and did a test render, and...

It was garbled a bit?

Just wondering:)

You might want to try deleting the history before smoothing. I've found that when dealing UVs, the history can cause a lot of problems.

ragecgi 27-05-2003 02:40 PM

Quote:

It was garbled a bit?
ooops, sry, I meant to say that it was garbled AFTER I smoothed it.

Will try the history tip now:)

Thanks!

ragecgi 28-05-2003 04:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I think I may have done something wrong, cause it's still doing it:(
(SEE PIC BELOW)

I have NO problems starting over, as I have a non-uv'd backup of my model piece, so I was wondering if I should just smooth it first, then just suck-it-up and deal with wading through the high poly/uv count?

Again, sorry for being a pain...

PS - lemme know if I should start posting this in the Texturing section, as this doesn't really have much more to do with your awsome tools:)