Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Free Tutorial Added!!! (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2040)

Kevin 11-11-2002 12:13 PM

Free Tutorial Added!!!

Check out the free composition tutorial that has just been added!!!! Its 1hr 20 long! - now dont say we dont do nothing for you :)

heres the details:

INTRO TO COMPOSITING FOR VFX Part 1:
Izzy introduces you to the basics of compositing for visual effects by going over a small history lesson, compositing theory, and color spaces.

INTRO TO COMPOSITING FOR VFX Part 2:
Izzy gets more in depth with compositing for visual effects by showing you how to: -Use Maya's RENDER LAYERS feature and why it is good practice to use it. -Use Photoshop and After Effects in VFX We create a forground AND a background plate to composite into our rooftop shot.

- Basics of Matte creation
We create a matte element for our forground plate, to give a better sense of depth in the shot. -The use and compositing of animated stock pyro footage into the shot.

Part 2 includes a Maya 4.5 scene file, the DIVX avi movie of the final shot, you can also grab the divx final movie clip here

THanks!

Lespaul84 11-11-2002 02:16 PM

this video tutorial sounds excellent, im going to download it right now. :D

adldesigner 11-11-2002 02:16 PM

Excellent video, I drop my hat down Izzy. (is that the way to say it?). Gotta say I enjoyed it quite a bit! :)

mrmacca 11-11-2002 05:34 PM

Great stuff. Thanks a lot for this one.

I noticed there's a 4.5 scene file included. Is it possible using 4.5 to save a scene in 4.0 format? Just wanted to see if someone with 4.5 could make it available for those of us with 4.0. If not, it's no big deal.

David 11-11-2002 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by adldesigner
Excellent video, I drop my hat down Izzy. (is that the way to say it?). Gotta say I enjoyed it quite a bit! :)
Take my hat off to you:)

Nice vid Izzy :)

kbrown 11-11-2002 07:30 PM

I'll sit on my hat too...hmm was that right? ;)

The 2nd part really filled some gaps of my knowledge on compositing. Great vid! Can't wait for the VIP videos...

ragecgi 12-11-2002 03:46 AM

You know Kev, it's replies like these that realy make the work worth while!

No problem guys, and I personaly can't wait to start the VIP tuts this week!

I'm glad you all are learning something from me! :)

The vip tuts will get MORE advanced, so I hope you download them when they are done!

Rodi 12-11-2002 06:51 AM

I really enjoyed this tutorial too.

I liked the way that you explained every single step. Can't wait for the Vip's one.

mrmacca try this link http://forums.aliaswavefront.com/webx?14@139.PcIUayezcvL.5@.ef40d50/0 it explains how to open file from 4.5 in 4.0

mrmacca 12-11-2002 03:37 PM

Thanks for the link. I don't think that helps in this scenario. I presume the 4.5 file also needed to be saved as an ascii file to do this.

laz 12-11-2002 08:48 PM

i'm pretty new to SM and maya. Hell, i'm still trying to figure out how to make shapes and stuff. but if there is one thing that helps me out, it's the vidoe tuts. they are great. is there an archive somewhere? I'm sure that there's many that I haven't seen.

Kevin 12-11-2002 09:02 PM

yep, go to the main area, and see whats available :)

mtmckinley 12-11-2002 09:02 PM

actually, all of them should be up. The site isn't that old, but there's a lot to choose from. As the coming weeks, months (heck, years!) go by, I'm sure they'll fill up considerably.... too much to watch! lol

ragecgi 13-11-2002 12:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Rodi
I really enjoyed this tutorial too.
it explains how to open file from 4.5 in 4.0

Thanks!

BTW, I re-saved out my Maya 4.5 file as a .ma file, and changed all the 4.5 references in it to 4.0, and it imported fine for me.

Here's the .ma file of the set complete with the camera, and lights.

You'll need to go into the hypershade, and re-map the textures to the geometry, but theres only 4 peices, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Sorry for the version issue.

dave_baer 15-11-2002 03:29 AM

Mmmm.. wheres the tutorial posted? :confused:

mtmckinley 15-11-2002 03:35 AM

Up at the top, enter VIP Area and enter the free tutorials section