Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Mirror effect (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24087)

Mads_Anthony 05-12-2006 07:54 PM

Mirror effect

How do I make the mirror effect?

gster123 05-12-2006 08:06 PM

Do you mean how do I create a mirror material?

If so create a phong or blinn, change the colour to black, up the reflectivity to 1 and assign it to the object that you want, make sure that you have an environment for the mirror to reflect either by connecting an image to the reflected colour or by putting the object inside an environment and enabling raytracing, otherwise you wont get any reflections (since there wont be anything to reflect).

Mads_Anthony 06-12-2006 06:24 PM

Ok, I understood some of that, but could you explain it a bit more detailed???

Thank you:D

erictacti 06-12-2006 07:17 PM

There really isn't any other way to explain that. He did a good job of doing so. But, just to try and give some extra support, I will expound upon what gster123 said.

Open the Hypershade and create a phong or blinn.
Change the shader's color to black, and set it's Reflectivity to 1. Assign it to the object that you want to reflect.
If you want the Reflection to be of an image, connect the image to the Shader's reflected color.
If you want the reflection to be of the surrounding environment that the object is in, enable Raytracing in your Render Globals.

Either option you choose should get you the desired results.

Hope this helps!

Mads_Anthony 06-12-2006 08:38 PM

Quote:

Assign it to the object that you want to reflect.
I dont get that part :(

Anyway, hope you will help me.

NeoStrider 06-12-2006 08:52 PM

he's saying basically that if you have an object that you want to act as your mirror then you apply the shader to that object... like if you have a box, and you want that to be your mirror... apply the shader to the box.

erictacti 06-12-2006 09:48 PM

Right! So if you were to apply this Shader we have described (the blinn or phong with a black color and high reflectivity) to the box (whatever it is you want to act as a mirror), it would have that mirror effect.

For example, create a cube and scale it to resemeble a mirror. Place this shader on said cube, and then place another model (let's use a sphere in this case, just for an example) of some sort in front of it, you would see the sphere model in the mirror cube.

NeoStrider 06-12-2006 09:50 PM

oh yea...

to apply the shader from the hypershade OR the multilister you can MMB (middle mouse button) drag the texture onto the object... or you can select the object, right click on the texture and choose assign material to selection (or edit, assign, depending on where you are)

Mads_Anthony 06-12-2006 10:33 PM

Yea I know that...

But I cant get it working :S Dont know what I'm doing wrong.

Anyway, thanks for trying :D

Mads_Anthony 06-12-2006 10:33 PM

Yea I know that...

But I cant get it working :S Dont know what I'm doing wrong.

Anyway, thanks for trying :D

erictacti 06-12-2006 11:21 PM

Well, describe what you're doing in detail, and maybe we can pinpoint the problem.

Mads_Anthony 07-12-2006 12:23 PM

Ok, I'll try:

First I make a Plygon cube and I scale it abit.
Then I go to Hypershade, and choose the Blinn.
I double click the blinn, so I can get the settings for the blinn.
Then I go into Specular Shading and set the Reflectivity to 1.000.
And I also chance the Specular color to Black.
After that, I take my blinn and assign it to the Polygon cube.

Then I make a Polygon Sphere, scale it abit and place it just beside my Polygon cube.
After that, I go to my "Display Render Settings Window" (That's the global render, Right?) which are at my status bar.
Then I go to Raytracin Quality and enable the Raytracing, and I close the window. At the end I go to "Render the current frame" Which also is in my status bar.

When I've done that there is no reflection in the cube. :(

Hope you can help me. :D

erictacti 07-12-2006 12:38 PM

Ok, sounds like you got everything right, except 1 thing.

Don't change the Specular Color to black, change the Color to black. It's the first option in the Shader's Attributes.

Try that, and see what happens when you render.

Hope it works out!

Gen 07-12-2006 12:43 PM

whoops edit beacuse you said you had raytracing enabled. it might help to post a screenie though.

Mads_Anthony 07-12-2006 03:51 PM

YAY, it worked :attn:

THANKS ALOT GUYS!!!