Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Male figure (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28593)

gubar 30-12-2007 12:47 AM

Male figure

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

my last thread was deleted so I've started a new one.

Been working on the eyelashes, brows and tweaked the abs. I don't like the back at all, I'm thinking of taking it into zbrush since modeling it is a real pain.

Crits and comments welcome.

thanks,

gubar

gubar 30-12-2007 12:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
front

gubar 30-12-2007 12:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
His back

Mickeal_alex 30-12-2007 11:10 AM

looking good. Can we see a wireframe??

gubar 30-12-2007 12:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks, and here are some wires:

gubar 30-12-2007 12:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
face:

gubar 30-12-2007 12:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lastly his back.

I'm not having much fun making this part; even with anatomical reference I'm finding it difficult.

If anyone can advise - or even better, if anyone has a model with realistic back muscleature, could they post some images here along with a wire?

Thanks,

gubar

gster123 30-12-2007 12:48 PM

Hi Gubar

VladimirJP had some base meshes that he uploaded in the members section a while ago (best off doing a search) and all his works spot on, so that might be worth a look,

arran 30-12-2007 05:57 PM

hey gubar - your model isn't looking too bad, but there are a few areas that are letting this down.

the big one is the corners of the mouth which just don't look realistic coming to a point - that area needs to have some depth - think of the lips as being the inside of your mouth turned outside in, rather than just being a hole. the eyes are suffering from a similar problem. rather than just being an oval, the edge of the lids need to have two distinct - almost s like - shapes. the ear could do with a bit of thickening up too.

Lastly, the waist could really do with a lot of work. regardless of whether this will be seen in the final model, it really helps to get the shape right - at the moment the hips have not been defined and also the distance from the crotch to the top of the hips is looking too short, making it look like his waist is disappearing into his pelvis.

the back is tough - i would focus on finding a decent anatomy plate that shows the shoulder blade and muscles and then concentrate on getting that triangle region and the shape of the trapezius - which lays over the top - blocked in and then you should have something working a bit better.

apologies for the lengthy crit - think i may have mentioned some of these points in your previous thread so sorry if i'm repeating myself. :)

gubar 31-12-2007 09:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the crits arran.

Agreed on all points - the mouth was something I'd set aside until I had finished the teeth - I think you mean the transition between the outside and inside of the cheeks? It needs to be more rounded and have more of an obvious inner lip area (the area between the cheek and the inside of the mouth) and I'll get on this soon.

I've decided to clothe my character. My project is due in in May and I've a lot of other stuff to do, and I've already neglected other areas. I've got a couple of queries as to how best do this.

1) I think I'm going to split up my character as shown in the image; this will allow me to sculpt the arms and head in zbrush for more accuracy. I'll build another a t-shirt/vest that will overlap with the arms/neck and head (think this will be easier to bind and paint too). Any opinions on this? Especially regarding binding and skinning once it's seperate objects.

2) I'm going to look into building the vest roughly, then wrap deforming it to the original mesh (with torso) so that it retains some of the muscle shape. I've not used one of these before, so any advice or comments on this would be appreciated.

I have been avoiding doing this for a while but think it's the best idea given time.

Comments on this appreciated.

thanks,

gubar

gster123 31-12-2007 09:36 AM

Just mask then out in Zbrush, thers no need to split it up proir to going into Z, as if you do you may end up with nasty seams in maya when you recombine.

gubar 31-12-2007 09:40 AM

Hi gster,

if I'm going to model a vest anyway (as a seperate object), his torso would be covered and it would be wasted geometry to keep it. I wouldn't be recombining, the torso would be gone.

gubar 31-12-2007 02:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Began blocking out a t-shirt for him.

A couple of ways I could go with this, some advice on which one to do, and how to do it would be appreciated.

1) Keep the arms, head and t shirt as seperate objects. Sculpt each one individually in z brush.

If I did this, how would I make sure that the arms and t shirt will deform correctly? I want the t shirt to be tight like an army t shirt so there will be no spaces around the arms/neck - just careful painting of weights, or by constraining the points on the t shirt to the points of the arm somehow?

2) Combine them all so I have one mesh. This way I will be able to animate it easier, but I want to use my sss shader for the body parts and another for t shirt. Best way to achieve this with a layered shader, or by selecting the faces for each type(skin on one hand and fabric on the other) and assiging them each a shader - does this way even work properly?

thanks,

gubar

Funky Bunnies 31-12-2007 03:47 PM

gster gave you a pretty good suggestion. You could just mask off an area for the shirt and inflate, or extract to a low thickness. If you maintain your nude base mesh, you can just paint weights on that and apply a wrap deformer on the clothes if need be.

With that, you may have to worry about the skin poking through the shirt. A few ways to get around that though. You could select all of the torso faces and apply a transparent material to them, you could duplicate the mesh, delete the torso faces and apply a wrap deformer to the new mesh and the shirt mesh. Then hide the driving smooth bound mesh.
Otherwise you can find a script to convert a wrap's weights to a smooth bind. It shouldn't be that hard so I'd imagine there are some out there.

there are a lot of ways to go, just choose one and see how it goes for you.

gubar 15-01-2008 09:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Worked on his hip area and the stomach some, and the back. The back isn't finished yet, but I think it's looking much better.

My mesh isn't really suited to zbrush; I hadn't laid out his topology with zbrush in mind. I'll give it a try in my next model, though I've used it a little in this one for tweaking at base level.

As usual crits and comments welcome.

Arran - I've not forgotten your comments about the mouth, I'm working towards them. I've checked my reference and the distance from hip to crotch is ok; maybe it looks weird because he doesn't have a d*ck or b*lls?

cheers,

gubar