Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   March/April - Jack Of Spades - Newbie (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11284)

Jack Of Spades 04-04-2004 06:49 PM

March/April - Jack Of Spades - Newbie

I would very much like to hear your opinion to this simple background to my future scene

Jack Of Spades 04-04-2004 06:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Forgot to post the image, sorry

vladimirjp 04-04-2004 08:56 PM

the grass looks very good. but the tree is a bit lacking.
also can u post some sketches or description of you scene, or ideas for challenge.
looks like a great start;)

Jack Of Spades 05-04-2004 12:56 AM

Hee, hee...

For the grass I used Fur>Grass (how simple it is!) and then just tried all possible combos of colors/twists and whatever there is to customize. Also I sculpted the plane to make it rough and irregular, with all little bumps and hummocks and hillocks. Since the plane was very big, I had to make a very large number of grass blades( 1 mln) and on my P4-1800 with 512DDRAM it took ~15 min. to render with MentalRay.
Tree was PaintEffects converted to polygon and it has a texture assigned to it that is supposed to look like bark.

My scene will probably be a rusted peace of armor(or full Greek armor) with some rusted stuff around/in it, like a sword or arrow.

Jack Of Spades 05-04-2004 02:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I still saw some grayness in the plane, which disappointed me a lot(considering the time it took to render!) so I assigned a lambert with ramp texture(colors of tip and bottom of grass placed at ends of ramp).

Yes, the tree kinda looks sad....I fiddled with the UV layout, smoothed it and gave a better texture to the leaves. May be I should remodel it...

sarge40 05-04-2004 06:56 AM

I really like the effect, looks like the wind is blowing across the grass and making it ripple. try a shot from down low to the grass looking towards the tree, remember you are after a "framed" scene that will interest the viewer and maximise the effects of the render. Good start so far !

Jack Of Spades 06-04-2004 03:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I decided to worry about landscape later, may be I will add a mossy wall in the back, but anyway, here is my first object...kinda weird color, but that is the default shader(I used it for the plane)

Jack Of Spades 07-04-2004 11:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
another object...
looks realistic to me, but I still would like to hear your opinion(especially Mike) about what I should correct...

mtmckinley 08-04-2004 12:58 AM

The torso object seems very boxy. The indentions between the abs seems off too. Also, the armor itself doesn't have much in the way of details yet. Plates, rivets, straps, etc. :)

The helmet looks like it's getting there, but I'd say the biggest thing it could use is some thickness. It also lacks detail (rivets, spikes, etc.).

Looking forward to progress!

Jack Of Spades 08-04-2004 02:18 AM

Hmm... I modeled these after real ancient greek armor pics, that do not actually have any spikes or fancy stuff, just plain thing, so I don't know if they need any. May be the helmet has a thing on its top, but I'm not so sure(my pics don't). I might model it separately and say it fell off ;)
About plates - this one I'm sure there is none. Greeks had a single hammered plate for torso. And there will be no straps since armor is supposed to be old and rusted(not literally rusted, just oxidized bronze).
Abs - true, I'll work on that. Thickness - true, thanks a lot.

Anyway, I really appreciate your feedback.

Jack Of Spades 09-04-2004 03:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finished up the modeling, combined the obj's.

dragonsfire 09-04-2004 04:13 PM

Looking good, can u put ,ore light on the subject :)

Jack Of Spades 12-04-2004 02:48 PM

I did not do any lighting yet, so it is still in the future.

Over weekend went to Yosemite and obviously did not do anything.
But I made a bunch of photographs from which I will derive my textures.

Jack Of Spades 12-04-2004 06:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, this is first look at he ground...a pit that will be covered with water in a grassland surrounding...may be a mossy wall in the back...

Credits: Kevin(earth shader was downloaded from simplymaya)

Jack Of Spades 13-04-2004 01:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Another update...

Does this look like oxidized copper to you?