Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Technical Issues (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Objects move inconsistently when I move multiple (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27026)

MrSandman 25-07-2007 03:03 AM

Objects move inconsistently when I move multiple

Uh, weird subject line, I admit, but here's my problem (which I am having with Maya 8.5 for Intel Mac):

When I am working on a scene and paste in, or import, objects from another scene sometimes the objects move/resize in bizarre ways.

Let's say I've modeled a TV with twenty primaries in a scene and I open that scene, select the TV and then go back to my original scene and paste (cmd-V) them into the scene. They all end up grouped, which is perfect. Now I use the move tool and move them. Only, one or several objects in this group move disproportional to the handle, so they end up at a totally different location than where I was moving the grouped objects. Usually they just move faster than the mouse drag, and end up further away.

Doing the same in the original scene (i.e. in the TV scene) doesn't move the objects in this way.

Is the problem with the object scene or my current scene? Is there some way to "reset" this behaviour? I've tried setting the move parameters to local, world and object and nothing changes this odd behaviour.

If you still don't understand it, I suppose I could record it and put up a video of it. I submit an image if the phenomenon where I am trying to move the primaries that make out a camera model. They are all grouped in one hierarchy, and one of the objects move faster than the others when dragging it to the right. Why? (not to mention it being clipped in a strange way)

Any ideas?

gster123 25-07-2007 04:35 AM

Its because of the way thinigs are grouped together and where their pivot points are etc.

If you go into the outliner and select the actual group rarther than the objects and them move the group they should stay together as its a new node.

If I get what your describing its not odd behaviour its just how it works as its node based and in a heiarchy

MrSandman 25-07-2007 06:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by gster123
Its because of the way thinigs are grouped together and where their pivot points are etc.

If you go into the outliner and select the actual group rarther than the objects and them move the group they should stay together as its a new node.

No, it's the reverse. The objects move fine when I move them one-by one, but when I select the entire group (in the outliner) that's when some objects move differently, which is weird.

I wrote that I would submit an image, but I forgot to do that. I'll send it along with this post instead.

wasatch5_sparticus 25-07-2007 08:43 AM

When you export/import, you need to use the same units of measurement. Your scene may be in meters, and your object in centimeters, so you may have to change that in the settings.

Sparticus

MrSandman 25-07-2007 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by wasatch5_sparticus
When you export/import, you need to use the same units of measurement. Your scene may be in meters, and your object in centimeters, so you may have to change that in the settings.

Sparticus

Ok, sounds reasonable. Only, I never change any of that. And even so - why would that affect only some of the objects I'm importing?

xeagle 20-04-2015 08:13 PM

Hey man it is simple i mean if they are polygons cuz i dont know about nurbs ! Select all object go to modify > center pivot and moving the object wont be a problem but if ull try to rotate them than select all u want and combine them and it will turn into a single object .

Mehmmet Menla 08-08-2021 01:21 PM

Try to Delete the History for Each one, I had the same problem and I couldn't find the reason for that so I just Deleted the History and it worked fine for me

SimplyFilip 26-12-2021 01:20 PM

I have the same problem, but In my case there are rigged, skinned and textured objects. I assume I can't clear the history because of that. I can move all objects by moving the main control, but the group pivot stay in place. Without grouping them I can't use duplicate special. Is it ok that all the meshes connected to the joints chain have their pivots away from their location?