Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Poly face Issue (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31383)

KaMate 19-11-2008 02:40 PM

Poly face Issue

Hi new here, when trying to move a Face or a Vertice the whole model moves Im guessing im in the wrong mode or something. Models are Simple Poly Cylinders with extrudes to create Gear Teeth it all seemed to go wrong after I beveled the Edges on the first cylinder.

Thanks for any help

KaMate 19-11-2008 02:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Screen Shot as well

honestdom 19-11-2008 05:06 PM

you have soft selection on... push "m" i think

KaMate 19-11-2008 05:38 PM

Sorry but that doesn't seem to do it tried shift m as well.

honestdom 19-11-2008 06:07 PM

well i don't know the button, but thats what it is...

is it "b" or "n"? :blush:

KaMate 19-11-2008 06:43 PM

Well im not sure but the stickers on my keyboard say

Cntl B Brush Settings
N Paint Value Pressure
M Displacement Pressure

Something I have noticed as im working through some Digital Tutors Tutorials is when I select a Mesh it is Yellow with little squares on the corners were vertices join and the furthest edges are red? When I press the Soft Modifcation button the shading goes like this. I think im in the wrong mode but I am clueless on how to rectify the situation.

Ok whilst typing this i Pressed D which is marked as Edit mode and a S appeared in the centre of the screen (little one) and i was able to shift the faces and accomplish what i wanted. So how do i get rid of the little S now get out of whatever mode i went in to?

KaMate 19-11-2008 07:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the S's in question. I have not seen them before and am baffled im new to Maya ish i had version 7 and tinkered a bit and Purchased 2009 Im assuming that is what referred to as a soft mod, I have never heard the term before and google brings up sweet f a Pardon my abbreviated French.

Gen 19-11-2008 10:10 PM

The first screenie was too big, and those can be a little annoying to view. In terms of selection and transformation, gradients are usually an indicator of the area of influence and falloff so it does indeed lead me to believe it is some kinda of soft mod/ soft selection mode. Check your actual move tool settings to see if you checked anything on. If I remember the videos right, I think its new feature in Maya 2009, I think those tiny S's are a result of you using the pre-2009 soft modification tool.

KaMate 19-11-2008 11:20 PM

I figured it might be a bit big thats why i adjusted the next one, so sorry about that. After lots of button pressing i got the results i was after, Its all part of the learning process. One of the things I would like to understand better is all the modes and the relationship they have with what's going on. Impossible to cram it all in this head at once. Thanks for the help though.