Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Snapping two curves together (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13270)

MorituriMax 29-08-2004 04:37 AM

Snapping two curves together

Arg.. okay my head is about to explode.. I am trying to lay out a series of "profile" curves so I can start modelling an organic object. I am running into a wall where I want two curves to join together.

I have curve A which runs from front to back in side view.. curve B is supposed to sweep out from the curve and down to the side.. my prob is that they don't exactly touch along the axis.. I haven't been able to just snap them where they would meet.. tried control point etc, but curve A does not HAVE any control points there..

I would love to just go to the front view, grab the end point of curve B and drag it down till it snaps to curve A along the axis... simple you'd think but maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks

mtmckinley 29-08-2004 04:49 AM

You can curve snap. Hold the C key and middle mouse drag on the curve.

MorituriMax 29-08-2004 05:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hmmm, tried but no dice... here is an illustration if I haven't explained it well..

In the front view, I want to slide point A of the red curve (end point), straight down until it snaps to the other curve at point B (where there is NO vertex point)..

tried what you said and it never snaps at all, I'm just dragging it up and down but it never seems to "stick."

Thanks for the quick reply though..

mtmckinley 29-08-2004 11:45 AM

Make sure the move tool is set to World.

MorituriMax 29-08-2004 06:08 PM

Yep still no go.. is there just no way to get a control vertex on one curve to snap to another curve unless it is to another point on the other curve?

Perhaps I am nitpicking and should give it up? It's a principle vendetta right now.. heh

mtmckinley 29-08-2004 06:34 PM

Not sure what to tell you except to go through the steps again:

1) select a CV on one curve
2) Hold C
3) Middle mouse click and drag on another curve.

If the Move tool is set to World, it should work just fine.

MorituriMax 29-08-2004 06:54 PM

tried all that.. grab cv on one curve, hold c, world is on.. drag it to other curve in all views.. nothing.. just refuses to snap to the other curve no matter what I do..

I guess I'll have to cut the other curve at the place I want to snap them and force it to have a cv there..

this is really disappointing..

you did understand that I didn't have a cv on the other curve I was trying to snap to?

Thanks for the help.. maybe ya'll will do a video tutorial sometime that shows that kind of snap stuff.. I'd buy it..

mtmckinley 29-08-2004 07:18 PM

If you're snapping to a point, then obviously you'd use Point Snap rather than Curve Snap.

Here's a vid:

www.mtmckinley.net/SimplyMaya/SM_curve.rar

One thing - You middle mouse click drag ON the curve... not drag to it.

MorituriMax 29-08-2004 07:52 PM

Hmmmmm I think I'll go kill myself... heh..

not sure what did it, maybe seeing it was possible in your video.. probably the fact that I was grabbing the cv and dragging it TOWARD the target curve..

needless to say, that video and your help is a keeper!! You could plop it in the video tutorial section and help many other thick headed people like me..

grin

Have a great one..!