Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   duplicating a wing (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1725)

cracker 22-10-2002 11:45 AM

duplicating a wing

1 Attachment(s)
Is there anyway I can dupe the wing and turn it round so it will fit underneath??

The only way I can think of is to turn the engines around separately, is there an easyier way?

undseth 22-10-2002 12:09 PM

hehe
---Duplicating objects and groups around a pivot point, via x,y or z axis--- (Ctrl-D)

Either move the objects pivot-point manually or press Ctrl-G to group an object or a set of objects, thus making maya set pivot-point to "worldspace-center" automaticly

1) Every object and group has a pivot point; press the "insert" button on the keyboard and move it if you need to.

Move it around in orthogonical view or klick and drag one of the axis-arrows/lines (no arrowhead!!!) indicating the pivot point.

Press "insert" again to transform the "headless-arrows" to return to the "move-object-itself-mode".

then...

2) Open the duplicate menu:
-reset the menu (is much faster than setting everything to 0 manually)
-In your case you would want to duplicate along the up-down axis (probably z axis)
-Type -1 in the move row, relevant to the z-axis.
-Press duplicate to mirror-copy the object or group.

And voila.

Be sure to reset the duplicate-menu so it will funcion as a usual copy/duplicate command (Ctrl-D) later on.

If you are smart, then try to use the world-center to act as a center of the project you are working on.

This might not be such a big a deal with the x-wing, but I found it totally neccessary with my Millennium-Falcon project.
It is much easier to mirror things if you have a very "symmetrical" project.

adldesigner 22-10-2002 12:17 PM

Excellent reply undseth! Cleared some issues for me also ...

undseth 22-10-2002 12:18 PM

Oh, you would want to group the wing, engine and the laser cannon first anyway.

Then duplicate...

And then move the group up or down to whatever position is fitting.

---

If you have grouped a set of objects, this group is selected this way;

1) Klick on one of the objets you know are in the group.
2) Press the up-arrow on the keyboard to select the (first) group setting.

If that group is a part of a bigger group, press up-arrow again to select the bigger group.

undseth 22-10-2002 12:20 PM

Happy to help you out! :)

There are things here and there that one didnt know of. I experience this bepuzzlement every now and then.

undseth 22-10-2002 12:23 PM

Oh I have a tip here, that might have gone unheard of.

If you say, want to make a shelf-button of the "grid-on/off" function. Do this:

Hold down the Shift + Ctrl key, and klick any function from the menus. Thus making a button in the shelf, presently visible.

One can fiddle and make your own icon also, if you dont like the default icons.
:)

adldesigner 22-10-2002 12:44 PM

Right on the spot again! although I already knew this little midget of info, I find it great that you want to share your knowledge with us.

undseth 22-10-2002 12:48 PM

I dare present yet another tip haha :)

Instead of working with a bunch of objects cluttering up your view either in shaded-mode or in wireframe, try this: (inverted hiding)

Select the object/objects you want to work with...
and press Alt + H to hide everything BUT the ones selected... then SHOW LAST HIDDEN (handy button) to make everything appear again.

undseth 22-10-2002 12:52 PM

Oh, antoher possibly handy tip; (lazy movement)

If you want to move something axial, but dont want to bother to klick the axial-arrows when moving.

First press w for movement...

Hold Shift + klick and hold the move-button on your mouse, AND move the mouse roughly along one of the axis.

The object will then move sturdy in x,y or z direction.

adldesigner 22-10-2002 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by undseth
I dare present yet another tip haha :)

Instead of working with a bunch of objects cluttering up your view either in shaded-mode or in wireframe, try this: (inverted hiding)

Select the object/objects you want to work with...
and press Alt + H to hide everything BUT the ones selected... then SHOW LAST HIDDEN (handy button) to make everything appear again.

Lol! I suppose you had to use that tip a lot when modelling that falcon of yours huh? hehe

I can imagine: "..argghh! I picked the wrong rivet! .. where are you?!, come on! pick it! darn! pick it! ..." <undseth takes a gun and shoots the screen>

undseth 22-10-2002 12:54 PM

Yes your actually right adldesigner!

Took a while before i had the genius idea of implementing this particular tip.

undseth 22-10-2002 12:57 PM

Yet another tip for positioning lights.
(I have never tried this, but I'll do it soon)

Create a light...
Pick the light...
Klick look through selected and then you have a better view of your positioning of your lights.

adldesigner 22-10-2002 12:58 PM

Hmm, now that I think of it, I´m going to compile all these little tips in a new thread, with images explaining each and every one of them. I´ll give you the credit undseth. I just find them to be quite handy tips so might as well make them a bit more available right?

undseth 22-10-2002 01:03 PM

Thats a great idea adldesigner.
Too bad if these get lost... with time... like tears in the rain... BLADERUNNER :)

undseth 22-10-2002 01:11 PM

I remembered something just now, that I find most useful;

When working with nurbs surfaces, in tweaking times;
1) Assign the surface to a layer and ghost it
2) Then you can fiddle with all the curves/cv's without accidentally picking the nurbs-surface itself when tweaking it. And you get to see the results immdiatly, when watching the ghosted surface adjust itself to the repositioned cv's/curves.