Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   mirror geometry fault?? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23503)

mr pix. 18-10-2006 09:59 AM

mirror geometry fault??

1 Attachment(s)
hey guys

can anyone shed some light on what i may be doing wrong here.

Just to see how my model was getting on so far, i mirror my polygon geometry (as apposed to duplicating it).

When i did however, i got this horrible deformation of the lip and nose where the 2 met.

This hasn't happened to me before. I have tried,

selecting all c.v's down the centre and making sure they are centered,

i have merged any cv's where the deformation is,...i get the same result.

I cant go further until i rectify....
pls pls help someone

thanx all

:headbang: :headbang:

Joopson 18-10-2006 10:50 AM

i have no idea, i always do the duplicate method..
and just for future reference, those are not CV's those are just plain old vertices.. you probably knew that, but you mixed the 2 up in the post ^_^
-andy

mmoore5553 18-10-2006 11:12 AM

can you put the file up here so we can take a look at it ..... also if you post the file in zip i can take a look at it if you want ...looks like some vertics have merge but cant tell

mr pix. 19-10-2006 05:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh yer verts soz. lol

Anyway i duplicated it.

usually i get and predominent line down the middle, which i dont like. However i have over come that. I didn't realise that after you combine the 2, you have to merge the verts to get rid of the border edges. so thanx

would appreciate it if you could have a look at it anyway. Also whats the best way to create eye sockets and a nose. Those are not my strong points!!

Thanx guys

publicFunction 19-10-2006 02:54 PM

To answer the question on the modelling eyes stuff, go to the downloads for the free SM Videos. Kirk has just completed a new Basic Human Model tute and will cover eyes, nose, mouth etc...

Free Bloke Tutorial

Also always do a duplicate then combine and merge verts, its a little longer to do but your almost guarenteed to get it right firtst time...

mr pix. 19-10-2006 10:24 PM

yeah thats wot i do now...combine and merge.

thanx

As for the tutorial, i completed that! Awesome beginners tut, but want a bit more of advance nose and eyes.

Eyes arent so bad, not that hard creating sockets and 2 spheres.

As for the nose, i find it hard knowing where to create the correct edge loops for nostrils etc.

My character is cartoony -ish but with a bit of depth, not too basic if you know what i mean. I want a BIT of detail before i rig up at least.

cheers

R@n
:beer:

publicFunction 19-10-2006 10:31 PM

NP,

Geometry is all about flow. If it flows correctly and has the minimum of triangles and no n-sided faces, your onto a winner really. God it sounds so simple lol