Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   I feel like an idiot (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28252)

Voxi 23-11-2007 09:17 PM

I feel like an idiot

I'm importing a model here, but he's transparent or just a wireframe or something. I press 5 but he doesn't show, and when I render him with various colors he is also invisible. Any ideas? I downloaded the raptor guy under animals.

djknucklez1 23-11-2007 11:27 PM

hmmm...

Most likely the inputs of your shader are messed up or there is no shader applied to it. You could recreate another shader and then apply it to the character. It's happened to me before. There is no stupid question dude.

marlonjohn 25-11-2007 03:49 AM

Yeah, looks like the original materials/shaders went missing or something, just recreate and apply new ones on.

LauriePriest 25-11-2007 06:17 AM

Check your render flags under the shape node as well.

Voxi 26-11-2007 01:08 PM

No you guys. Read my whole question. I applied different shaders.

Quote:

Originally posted by LauriePriest
Check your render flags under the shape node as well.
OK I looked at this. But it says visibility is on for all shapes/surfaces.

LauriePriest 26-11-2007 01:27 PM

hmm post the model, check normals as well, conform them.

I have had this problem before but i cant remember how i fixed it for the life of me.

Voxi 26-11-2007 01:42 PM

OK I looked at the script editor and it said this
"polySurfaceShape1Orig has no shading group associated with it. This
means that it will not be rendered. Please assign it to a shading group.
"

I selected this and right-clicked on my shader and assigned it. But something is still wrong. Any ideas now?

Voxi 26-11-2007 01:46 PM

Quote:

hmm post the model, check normals as well, conform them.

I have had this problem before but i cant remember how i fixed it for the life of me.

What do you mean by this?

LauriePriest 26-11-2007 06:08 PM

lol!
ok easy problem, it should automatically fix this when you assign a new shader but for some reason its not.

In hypershade go to the shading groups tab and ctrl drag one of the shading groups from there onto your object.

If you strugle with that method, make a default object select it and your invisible object and then in the hypergraph show the input and ouput connections for both.

Attached to your new object you will see a shading group, middle mouse+ ctrl drag your invisible objects shape node in the hypergraph to the shading network of the other object.

An object cannot assign or link surface shaders without a shading group.

marlonjohn 26-11-2007 09:06 PM

Wierd, yeah it should apply a new a shader once you apply a new material etc.

Quote:

Originally posted by Voxi
No you guys. Read my whole question. I applied different shaders.
Where'd you say this?

Voxi 27-11-2007 11:47 AM

Quote:

lol!
ok easy problem, it should automatically fix this when you assign a new shader but for some reason its not.

In hypershade go to the shading groups tab and ctrl drag one of the shading groups from there onto your object.

If you strugle with that method, make a default object select it and your invisible object and then in the hypergraph show the input and ouput connections for both.

Attached to your new object you will see a shading group, middle mouse+ ctrl drag your invisible objects shape node in the hypergraph to the shading network of the other object.

An object cannot assign or link surface shaders without a shading group.

Wow this looked like it would work, but it didn't. ;_;
I tried the first method and nothing happened. I tried the main surface and it worked but it didn't work with 10rig. Then the 2nd method and nothing happened. So I..
-middle mouse ctrl dragged the shading group to 10rig and it didn't connect
-middle mouse ctrl dragged 10rig to the shading group and it didn't connect
Grrrrrr

By the way: now I found this weird thing called the connection editor. It says polysurfaceshape10rig is an output and polysurfaceshape1 is an input. I don't know if this helps. -_-'

Voxi 27-11-2007 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by marlonjohn
Wierd, yeah it should apply a new a shader once you apply a new material etc.

Where'd you say this?

"and when I render him with various colors he is also invisible."

Sorry what I meant here is shaders. I just forgot what they were called. :P

marlonjohn 27-11-2007 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Voxi
"and when I render him with various colors he is also invisible."

Sorry what I meant here is shaders. I just forgot what they were called. :P

Haha! nah its ok, no need to be sorry ... i coudnt find it so i though my Firefox or Simply maya site was stuffing up on me :p

mirek03 28-11-2007 08:09 PM

this sounds too werid., how did you import it.., is it native maya?? is it OBJ.., can you just ry to import it againg and be aware of the settngs.., this shouldnt happen.., though thats no constellation for you at this time??

Voxi 29-11-2007 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mirek03
this sounds too werid., how did you import it.., is it native maya?? is it OBJ.., can you just ry to import it againg and be aware of the settngs.., this shouldnt happen.., though thats no constellation for you at this time??
Ya it's an .mb file. The problem might be is that I'm using PLE. I tried downloading and importing it again.