Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   R@nSiD FX-01-2008 (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28957)

publicFunction 12-02-2008 06:37 AM

R@nSiD FX-01-2008

This is my WIP thread, ideas are just popping outta everywhere atm... I must decide on only one, I am but one man ROFL

ragecgi 12-02-2008 07:01 AM

LOL! Glad to see you here man:)

publicFunction 13-02-2008 07:23 AM

Just going through the asset images atm with Adobe Lightroom.
That App brings out all the camera detail needed:

Type of Camera Used,
what fots were shot at what focal length

nice app Adobe :)

I will also look at more reference images of the Hoover Dam.

ragecgi 13-02-2008 08:48 AM

Sweet:)

Yeah, in regular photoshop, all ya gotta do is open the image, and go to File > File Info

Then all the same EXIF data is ther too:)

If there are any other peices of camera data you need other than that I can ask my photographer for you as well:)

publicFunction 15-02-2008 08:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Cheers Rage.

Na the data i have will be enough to rough up the camera to allow me to model to it. Focal length being one of the most important bit of data, that and exposures :)

Anyway my idea is to go for a "natural disaster"... God Noooo I here you cry, but yes on the back of Volcano, Dantes Peak and some other really poor plot based films, mine is a meteor that falls and then crashes into the dam wall.

Time for Maya, Realflow, and maybe Blastcode, to get what I want. Ain't decided on th compositing tool yet...

Here is a 3 shot story board...

ragecgi 15-02-2008 01:00 PM

On the contrary, I recently did a meteor shot myself for an enemy site challenge:

CHECK IT OUT HERE

Its in H264 quicktime and only 6 megs or so, so click the link and let it load:)

louis56 16-02-2008 01:00 PM

Nice one rage. Although the boards coming out the back of the building are a bit big and thin. Would look better if there were more rubble flying out the back.

gster123 17-02-2008 01:54 PM

Hey Chris

Nice idea with the concept, looking forwardto seeing how you go about it.

publicFunction 17-02-2008 06:12 PM

Cheers Steve...

And that brings me to this post and a quick breakdown of my "To Do" list:

Create Model of Dam (Hi-Res), this is underway using both Poly and Nurbs
Create Model of Meteor, purely a pol model with either a bump or displacement map for details
Run Simulations on the meteor and the Dam collision, this is an important step as its the main focus of the short.
Work on Textures and the Basic Animation
Get the Dynamic Simulations completed
Export the layers
Composite
Finalise

There are 3 main simulations that standout and they are:

Sky/Meteor Simulation
As the meteor breaks the atmosphere there will be a need for both Fire and smoke effect, and due to the time restrictions this have to be done with 2-3 secs. Smoke fades

Meteor Simulation
The meteor continues on its path o strike the damn with a minimal smoke effect and still spewing fire from its tail, this will be run within 2-3 secs

Dam Simulation
The meteor strikes the dam and breaks up and this causes an implosion on the wall followed by the pressure of the water pushing the debrie and the water out to flood the remaining area. This needs to be dont in 4-6 secs.

I will post what I will use to achieve each goal to make this work. God I have my work cut out and a huge learning curve, but here goes...

publicFunction 17-02-2008 08:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As promised, here is the start of the dam...

ragecgi 17-02-2008 08:52 PM

Sweet man!

publicFunction 17-02-2008 10:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More work on the Dam...

publicFunction 21-02-2008 02:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
pretty much finished that...

Time to blow it up lol

ragecgi 21-02-2008 06:28 AM

Nice work!

Swil 21-02-2008 04:33 PM