Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Wheel animation (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37530)

tourette89 02-04-2012 12:30 PM

Wheel animation

So, I have a wheel and a course which I want it to follow. I've tried using paths and expressions but it seems they don't work together. Any ideas how to do this?

NextDesign 02-04-2012 06:48 PM

Your question is extremely vague. Show us what you want, and what you have, and then we can help you.

tourette89 04-04-2012 09:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry for the late response.

I've attached a screenshot. The path is there to show how the wheel should behave.

Ozgalis 04-04-2012 04:28 PM

can you do a playblast so we can see whats not acting right?

BaalRoi 04-04-2012 07:21 PM

I believe the best option is for you to make an animation for the wheel to go 360ยบ around its axis (and maybe put Post-Infinity Cycle[in the graph editor]), and then animate her along the curve. For this, select the Wheel and pressing C and dragging with MMB so it will snap to the curve, and put it at the begining of the curve, then select the wheel and then the curve, (by this order, 1st wheel 2nd curve) and go to the menu Animate -> Attach to Motion Path, and open the options for it, you will need to define the up and front axis in order to the wheel go correctly.
I have to go now, but if you can do this way I believe it will work for what you want.

tourette89 06-04-2012 11:55 AM

I was afraid i have to animate it myself.

First of all I when I press C and MMB nothing happens (I've had numerous problems with Maya - mental ray not visible, I lost my work in 3d space etc). And for example, an animation that I did a couple of weeks ago isn't working anymore today (when I tried to apply the same effect but to another project).

@ Ozgalis: Nothing happens. I just get errors in the lower right corner.

edit: and sorry again for the late response. the fact that easy things aren't working is making me lose interest and confidence.

BaalRoi 08-04-2012 10:38 PM

then just use the move tool, and then C to snap on curve, and put the wheel at the start of the curve, you will notice when you get it cause it will not let you get the wheel off the curve, then use the attach to motion path.

Jay 09-04-2012 12:18 PM

Key frame it from A to Z. Probably less farting about than attaching to the motion path, which can produce undesirable results sometimes.

For the rotation of the wheel, key the rotation at 360degrees, btween frames 1 and 8 and then select the animation curve for the rotation and do a post infinity cycle offset. You could then adjust the speed x the rotaton with a small expression

should work

Jay

tourette89 09-04-2012 07:09 PM

Thanks. I will try this tomorrow.