Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   NEWBIE MAYA QUESTION ...PLEASE HELP..!!! (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35377)

big choz 29-03-2011 04:19 PM

NEWBIE MAYA QUESTION ...PLEASE HELP..!!!

HELLO GUYS.....IM USING .....

Maya 2009 ...Just finished first model ...and want to render in mental ray ..but when i do I only get one sided render ...I cannot manipulate ..to see sided and back ..how do you render a scene that you can see all sides then export for after effects (with mental ray render .. does it need to be animated or what ..i want to have zoom attributes rotate etc ..but a clean mental ray version ...I watched a tutorial on exporting the nodes to ae ..but even then no render mental ray with full 3d control ... hopefully i explained myself well ...please help....................i need to know fast...

stwert 29-03-2011 04:43 PM

When you render an image, you get one image. If you want to see multiple views, then yes, you will have to animate your model in a turntable or something similar. Check the Free Friday forum for a free rendering tutorial. I don't know about rendering to give you full 3D control in AE... if anything that would just be exporting your model in some form (not rendering) to AE, but I don't know how to do that.

Gen 29-03-2011 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big choz
HELLO GUYS.....IM USING .....

Maya 2009 ...Just finished first model ...and want to render in mental ray ..but when i do I only get one sided render ...I cannot manipulate ..to see sided and back ..how do you render a scene that you can see all sides then export for after effects (with mental ray render .. does it need to be animated or what ..i want to have zoom attributes rotate etc ..but a clean mental ray version ...I watched a tutorial on exporting the nodes to ae ..but even then no render mental ray with full 3d control ... hopefully i explained myself well ...please help....................i need to know fast...

Mental Ray which is a software renderer spits out two dimensional images, you can't rotate to a different view to see the bike hidden behind the truck, what you see is what you get, like a photograph. As far as I know, AE is not a 3D program, its more like a 2.5D so I doubt you can directly import 3D geometry, maybe there are plug-ins for that (I think there id a way to do it through Photoshop extended).

big choz 29-03-2011 09:13 PM

Thanks I will check that Free Friday forum .....but also whats a turntable ?

big choz 29-03-2011 09:15 PM

How do you animate your scene and render with mental ray to get the same crispness and detail as render as one still image ?

stwert 29-03-2011 09:25 PM

A turntable is just your model rotating around a couple times to show all sides of it. It's pretty common in demo reels.

If you render an animation with the same settings as a single imageHow do you animate your scene and render with mental ray to get the same crispness and detail as render as one still image, you will get the same crispness and detail (unless you've got motion blur on, but that's a separate issue).

big choz 29-03-2011 09:35 PM

Thank you i will try that ....

big choz 29-03-2011 09:50 PM

MENTAL RAY

HOW DO YOU RENDER AN ANIMATED SCENE IN MENTAL RAY . AND PLAY BACK RENDERED VERSION OR CAN YOU?

stwert 29-03-2011 09:52 PM

Yes of course you can... as I suggested earlier, check out the Free Friday tutorial here: http://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35318
That will show you all the necessary steps. For playback, use fcheck. Open fcheck, then File > Open animation, and choose the first frame.

big choz 29-03-2011 10:04 PM

THANKS AGAIN FOR SUCH A SPEEDY REPLY...

honestdom 29-03-2011 10:21 PM

anyone else find this thread really annoying?

stwert 29-03-2011 10:42 PM

Well maybe, but what is also annoying is posts that aren't constructive in any way. If you want to suggest something in particular (like suggesting not posting in all caps), feel free Dom, otherwise no need to post.

big choz 29-03-2011 11:30 PM

Sorry guys not trying to be annoying just trying to learn. And someday your kid or relative maybe in my position and i could be that guy to help em out "Think long term not Short ".

By the way another question how do render a transparent scene ..you know without Maya's greyed background or environment?

Help would be appreciated...

stwert 29-03-2011 11:54 PM

No worries, I think he was just taking exception to the all caps posts, as well as maybe the thread title which doesn't give a lot of info. You'll probably get more help faster with thread titles pertinent to the question.

But anyway, about the transparency thing, depends what you need to do with it. If you check the alpha channel in the render, you will notice that the black environment won't be included, so by default that will be used as transparent if you save out the image as a png for example. Or you can take the alpha channel into AE and use it there. Sorry can't give you tons of details on that process right now.

honestdom 30-03-2011 09:39 AM

Not every post i make has to be constructive. thats pretty unfair.
One of my old jobs was teaching English as a foreign language in Japan. It was difficult to explain words to low level students without using other words they may not understand. So answering "how do i render a transparent scene?" with "yadda yadda alpha channel." is perhaps not as constructive as you think it is.

i find this thread annoying because of what you mentioned but also because of the content. These are some incredibly basic questions here and to finish it off with "i need to know fast" is a bit cheeky. no explanation or anything. What could you possibly be doing that you need to know so fast? Also, the questions are pretty basic i'd be surprised if you couldn't get the answer from google, or even the search function on the site.