Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Fantasy Sailing Ship (wip) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5332)

glh3586 21-04-2003 09:51 PM

Fantasy Sailing Ship (wip)

1 Attachment(s)
I started this model last night, but its all "there" for the most part. Lots of little details to add all over the ship. Probably going to work on the detail on the back of the ship next.

ragecgi 21-04-2003 10:04 PM

Cool!

Can't wait to see it textured!

Pony 21-04-2003 10:13 PM

COOL very !!!!!!!!!!1

"we need more rope capten !!" LOL JK you know that already.

Alan 21-04-2003 10:54 PM

really nice, good detail for the most part. The only part I think that lets it down is the part at the back on the top. It's too smooth compared with thes rest of the ship.

Excellent work though, cant wait to see some textures on there

:)

Alan

glh3586 22-04-2003 12:09 AM

Yeah thats the part i'm working on now. The whole back section is probably the farthest from completion. Textureing wise all i've done is work out were i'm going to have to go in with grunge, and general ideas for colors and overall texture. I still have a long ways to go modeling wise. The actual rigging is going to take some time to get correct. Oh well back to work.

Thanks for the comments, its nice to hear (or read?) after spending so much time on it. :D

Media Soldiers 22-04-2003 02:44 PM

its a good start
i would like to see the final product

glh3586 23-04-2003 05:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ran into some problems today and had to start the hull from scratch. I'm still working on it adding detail. I decided to add some more to it in modeling instead of relying on a good texture map to make up for its shortcomings. The back section of the ship is starting to shape up nicely though.

glh3586 24-04-2003 06:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Another update. I started putting on basic textures. Just been working on the planking cause thats the closest to being done. Anyways heres the pick, tell me what you think.

glh3586 24-04-2003 06:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres another view of it, you can really see the plank texture. Still needs some work but not bad from making it by hand in photoshop.

Vectorman 25-04-2003 04:35 AM

BY HAND!?!?! Wow man you gotta teach me some stuff. I know that prog can do so much more than i know how to tell it too.

Alan 26-04-2003 12:21 AM

excellent texture you should post some details on how you made it a lot of people wood [sic!] ;) be interested in how you did it. There seems to be a problem at the front where the texture appears to be warping somewhat.

looking very nice though

Alan

glh3586 26-04-2003 07:11 AM

Yeah, the warping is a uv problem I didn't have time to correct before I had to go to bed the other night. Basically texture wise I come up with an idea of what I wanted. In this case, wood. I then went into photoshop and drew a bunch of lines for the "planks" and broke it up by doing several vertical lines every now and then for new boards. The wood grain is from some colored noise with a directional blur, and distort thrown in. I then took all of that and used a series of displacement maps and grunge maps to dirty it up and distort the hand drawn lines to make them more natural (I use all natural grunge maps).

Although its not really evident, because I haven't messed with it much yet, the bump and specular maps were created by a serious of level calls on different layers.

And if you want any help Vectorman you can get ahold of me on Aim (glh3586) or something. I'd be glad to help.

ragecgi 26-04-2003 04:58 PM

Lookin good man!

glh3586 26-04-2003 06:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've taken a break from modeling for a while and started texturing. This is the preliminary texture for the sails.

Alan 26-04-2003 06:47 PM

very nice sail texture! Looks like it has been at sea for a few years! :D Is it my eyes or is it the same texture on all three sails? I guess it is but as you said it's preliminary so it doesnt matter

:)

Alan