Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Modeling (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Deleting a "shared" edge makes the model go crazy (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5542)

PappaSmurf 01-05-2003 10:47 AM

Deleting a "shared" edge makes the model go crazy

Hi

I've just been playing around, trying to learn how to use poly's, and here's a big problem I've run into.

Here's a screenshot
http://139.134.5.124/pappasmurf/mayaproblem01.JPG

Wireframe, of the offending area
http://139.134.5.124/pappasmurf/mayaproblem01.JPG

Now, when I try to delete the edge which is circled in red in the above picture, all chaos breaks out.

I have constructed this shape from two polygons, and merged the bottom verticies as shown below
http://139.134.5.124/pappasmurf/vertsmerged.JPG

Wireframe
http://139.134.5.124/pappasmurf/vertsmergedwire.JPG

Can someone please explain what I'm doing wrong?
This edge shouldn't be doing anything, so surely I can delete it?!
:banghead:

strarup 01-05-2003 11:40 AM

Hi PappaSmurf,

eh... have you combined the 2 polygon objects?

if you haven't, that might be the problem... also have you controlled that there only is one vertice at each end of the egde and not 2?

regards

Strarup

PappaSmurf 01-05-2003 11:50 AM

Yeah I have combined the two objects, using the "combine", and it worked

I'm not sure what you mean by the verticies, I have merged the verts as shown in the pictures above, and I have made sure that they are merged by moving them with the move tool, and they are deffinately... merged

:confused:
:banghead:

strarup 01-05-2003 01:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oki doki... :)

i will try to see if I can explain what I mean... :)

1. some of the techniqes I use you can see here...

2. I don't know if you have the PolyCount on... (Display... --> heads up disply... --> Poly count...) but if you have you can see how many vertices there are... if you then select the vertice, you can see if it is 1 or 2 vertices... (purple colour on attached image)

3. you can also try show faces... and then try to see if there is a "Blue Dot" along the edge you want to delete... if there is a blue dot, try to delete it, before deleting the edge... (orange colour on attached image)...

it might also be that they the two edges aren't merged together properly... e.g. that the one edge need to be splitted... see yellow colour on attached image...

btw. what value did you use with the merge?

regards

Strarup

Pony 02-05-2003 02:49 AM

I think the problem can be solved, but maybe there isn't enufe information about what you are wanting to acheave.

and also Strarup has a good handle on how to find out exactly what your dealing with to resolve the problem.

ok from what I understand you want to delite the edge that gose down the side of your object there right ? but when you do it changes to that bit of twisted looking like there are to objects there.. ?

ok a cuple of points to consider.. just becouse you combine to poly objects in to one object. that dosn't meen that there are not in fact to seprat poly shells ! to combine a shell in to one true object/shell you have to merge the edges or vertices.. useing the merge tool, or a booline operation.

about the poly going a bit crazy on you.. your object(s) could be behaving badly becouse I noticed you have just one face there on the right side of the ofending edge you want to do something with. that has one face showing but there are.. 21 edges for just that face. That could very well be why your poly acts wierd. it is one poly face that is true, but becouse of the way that the computer and grafix card acualy have to make that it it finds its self not sure how to comply with your wishes.. as the true geo that is displaed is made up of triangles. only 3 sides.. so when there is a face with that many edges it gets to ware it can not acualy make it corectly.

sorry if long winded but I hopel its more understandable.

PappaSmurf 02-05-2003 06:43 AM

You have misunderstood, partly, what is happening.

In the first picture, you are right, I want to delete that edge.

But when I do, the whole model goes to the shitter ie: I get WIERD faces appearing in places which couldn't and shouldn't possibly have faces - I get wierd anomalies etc.

The seccond lot of pictures I posted (with the two objects), show how I made the first picture.
I started out with two objects and I wanted to mege them into one big object with a SINGLE face on the side.

Maya won't let me delete this edge where the two objects combined, even though I have merged all the verts and made them ONE object...

What should I do then, leave the edge there and split up the polygon more?

I would have thought you would try and MINIMISE the number of edges in a model, Maya isn't exactly helping me do this :/

Owell.. :(

PappaSmurf 02-05-2003 06:48 AM

BTW, strarup, thanks for showing me that little useful thing, I didn't know that :)

Here is your answer
http://139.134.5.124/pappasmurf/maya1vert.JPG

As you can see, the vert's are properly merged into one.
The same result for all four verts (all are properly merged)...

PappaSmurf 02-05-2003 06:52 AM

Pony, I have uploaded my maya file so you can have a look at it if you wish, I truly cant see why I cant delete this edge, it's a bit annoying :p

Here you go: Maya File

strarup 02-05-2003 07:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

eh... I have attached an image to illutrate... downloaded your model will upload the modified right after this message... :)

1. even thou you have merged it is still 2 objects... or the part where you have merged... I have X-rayed shaded it... the dark part between the 2 red arrows should have looked like the one side with the Yellow circle...

the faces also looks kind of strange... the blue circle and the extra red circle...

2. but I delleted the whole side... and then used fill hole...
(Edit Polygons... --> Fill Hole)...

3. which fille up the side... however the face of the side still looks a bit strange in my opinion... but that is proberly because it isn't divided...

this is also the file like I will upload...

4. I splitted the side and got the faces to look like this... I don't know if that's an idea... otherwise you will have a file like with "figure 3"... :)

regards

Strarup

strarup 02-05-2003 07:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
hi again,

here is the modified file... :)

regards

Strarup

PappaSmurf 02-05-2003 08:24 AM

Thanks heaps strarup, I can't load the file though :/

I have Maya 4.0, it says "Error: Error reading file"

and "Errors may have occured while reading this scene that may result in data loss.
Please check the script editor for details."

And in the script editor it says "// Error: line 1: Unknown Maya file version: 4.5. //
// File read in 0 seconds."

Seems pretty damn stupid to me that you can't load 4.5 files with version 4 :eek:

:confused:

strarup 02-05-2003 08:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oki doki... :)

eh... I'm sorry for that... I will upload it in Maya Ascii format instead... I if you can't open that either I believe Ragecgi have made an explanation about how to open a 4.5 file with version 4... I unfortunately can't remember it...

but I will see if I can find... otherwise just delete the sides of your figure and use "fill hole"... and you will get the same result... :)

regards

Strarup

PappaSmurf 02-05-2003 01:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I couldn't load your file but I will try to find out how to load 4.5 files

The fill hole method seemed to work fine, thanks heaps! :)
...however now I've got more woes :(

Could you (or someone) please show me how to merge the two shapes shown in this project file? Am I doing something wrong?
In this file, I have gone as far as I can go in terms of merging these two shapes before problems start popping up all over the place. If I go any further in the process of merging these two shapes, it spits the dummy.

strarup 02-05-2003 03:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
oki doki... I will try to show how I did it... :)

1. this point should only have one vertice but have 8...

2. there is also a lot of extra faces... a good Idea would also be making a split between the 2 vertices symbolized by the yellow dots... explanation will follow... :)

3.) after the split and I have merged the vertices in that point where there were 8 vertices, I snap these two points to these 2, so it will look like picture number 4...

4.) after the snap... select all the vertices and merge them with the value "0.0001"... because there is 62 vertices and there should only be 18 (20 with the 2 snapped ones also should be calculated with it)... I think this is also why all those extra face in picture 2 is there...

5.) it was here I discovered it would be a good idea to split it... because there were 2 faces which wasn't alike... as you can see in picture 6...

6.) if you don't split it between the two vertices as mentioned before... you get this strange face which will fill some extra... I don't know if this would create a problem later on... but to be save... I would split it so there is only "one" face... as showed in picture 7

7.) why I write "one" face is because there is actually still 2 faces... but they are now alike... and none of them fill extra...

8.) these 2 places got both 2 faces... which you can delete... so there only will be one left at each place...

I don't hope this have been to messy explained... or I have done it so it stills look like the model you want to create... :)

btw. have you e.g. tried to import the *.MA file... I think Ragecgi have said something about importing MA-files in a thread somewhere...

hope this helps you a bit further... :)

regards

Strarup

strarup 03-05-2003 03:28 PM

Hi,

have got it to work, or are there still some problems?

regards

Strarup