Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   AK-47 Vector render (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8724)

roach105 01-11-2003 11:56 PM

AK-47 Vector render

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a small project I am working. still got a bit more to go. need to get the flash on the nozzle going. I was originally going to do a realistic gun had textures done and all but than to be different I thought that it would look great as a vector render. I am using some instancing to get the bullets to fly out. will post animation when ready

[icarus_uk] 02-11-2003 12:09 AM

I like it. Very cartoony. reminds me of XIII.

roach105 02-11-2003 12:13 AM

XIII sort of made me change my mind about my original look.

roach105 02-11-2003 03:50 AM

well ran into a small roadblock. Just remembered that the vector does not support particles, so instancing is out of the question. I think I may have to go back to my original plan. Any thoughts?

[icarus_uk] 02-11-2003 12:43 PM

Composition? Get he gun in one part. The bullet in another. And put them together afterwards?

roach105 02-11-2003 03:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
yeah i may just do that. here is a bit of the animation.

roach105 03-11-2003 05:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, I have changed my whole thought about the vector. Just was running into a few roadblocks. when you do vector render you will not get a alpha channel on the file. So, I have decided to go back to the regular renderer. still need to work on the textures a bit.

theaps 04-11-2003 12:54 AM

I would go ahead and change the casings coming out of the rifle to be more erratic and faster, the part when the ejector throws the casing is all the same. But once the casing starts to travel through the air they tend to be more erratic. When the weapon starts to get hot the casings start to take on different trajectories. Also add some spin to the casings once they leave the chamber. I think a little variety would look really good and less man made. As of the textures I would add some scratch marks and scuffs, make the metal look worn and the same goes for the wooden grips. Also when the casings hit the ground have them bounce and rotate a little bit and then fall to the ground and stay put. Watch black hawk down or any new action movie to see them fire those types of weapons. I hope this helps.

http://www.sovietarmy.com/small_arms/ak-47.html

Witchy 04-11-2003 01:13 AM

The ejection could do with randomising as Theaps suggests, but it also doesn't really look like an AK ejecting, depending on how nerdy you want to be about it.

AK's were originally designed to fire steel cased ammunition and have a very high bolt carrier to bolt mass ratio - case heads are thrust onto the receiver cover which pushes the case forwards - this was initally done to ensure that the cases did not fly back into the face of the firer, but the net effect is, if you see an AK ejecting, the cases will appear to fly forward slightly not directly sideways.

In terms of cases flying all over the place, you don't get a lot of random direction ejection in Russian made AKs although it is common in other Eastern Bloc and Chinese copies due to differences in the quality of materials used in bolts and carriers. The original AK's were given rather more weighty bolts and carriers to cope with excessive heat at ejection. I have seen both sorts fired at fairly close range (although when people fired them at me I took very little notice of ejection patterns I am afraid), and there is a discernable difference in pattern as well as a slight one in sound. Watch film of Afghani troops firing their cheaper imports and compare with Russian Army to see the difference.

The effects you see in movie films usually come from modified bolt carriers firing blank ammunition - how it looks in the movies is good for a movie effect of course if that is what you are after.

The ejection pattern also varies with the use of brass cases, as they are usually damaged by ejection and come out with a visible dent at slihtly odd angles to each other. If the ammunition you are showing is military type the cases will usually fly less far than civilian type as well.

roach105 04-11-2003 01:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
TXS for the feedback. I will focus a bit more on the animation as soon as I get the texturing done. Here is where i'm at. need to tweek texture a bit more. need a bit of dirt in certain areas.

Witchy 04-11-2003 01:29 AM

Are you adding a buttstock? It may be me as I can't tell if you have a folding metal one depicted on your texture, like on the AKS.

roach105 04-11-2003 01:37 AM

I may add the buttstock but not sure. What do you think?

theaps 04-11-2003 01:38 AM

I would add butt stock to the rifle.

roach105 04-11-2003 03:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
theaps I have added the butt stock

THX1138 04-11-2003 05:23 AM

Thats a very nice render! Shouldn't the hand grip for the barrel be a bit more angular or squarish instead of round all over? It's probably just my imagination though.