Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   my first head... (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12646)

DJbLAZER 18-07-2004 01:16 AM

my first head...

1 Attachment(s)
Here is another "first head" by a n00b.. hehe.. I am not going for a realistic head though, gonna go for a cartoonish one. This is the start. Gonna clean it up a bit tomorrow, now I'm going to sleep...

CGPMaya84 18-07-2004 02:37 AM

Nice start for your first head model DJbLAZER! :) I am looking forward to seeing its progress! :) There is one thing that I noticed though...the eyes seem like they are a little too sunken in, unless of course that is the look you are going for since it is a cartoonish face. Aside from that, keep up the great work and I hope you will post more renders of it soon! ;)

ransick 18-07-2004 12:01 PM

yo dj wzzup

nice start on the head... very nice for fisrt attempt.. Like you said yourself....you got some cleaning up to do....post a update when you have :) keep it rollin'

greetZ

RanSicK

MainlineX 18-07-2004 03:44 PM

Hey DJblazer, coming along very nicely there! Keep it up! :)

DJbLAZER 18-07-2004 07:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
thanks for the comments, guys! Here's an update, have changed him to have a little more evil look.

Jay 18-07-2004 09:25 PM

This is a good start dude. I still think there is room for some more tidying mesh wise. Its just the edge looping around the eyes and mouth area. I tend to think of the face as having 3 'O's the eye and the mouth areas as thats how they are roughly shaped. I'm not promoting my own work here but have a look at the Henchman character in the Wip Section and you'll see what I mean. I think its important to watch out around these areas especially for animating facial rigs, your expressions will look far more convincing if you get the face topology right. Also its less hassle when creating blend shapes with wire deformers too, everything goes the right way.
Hope this isn't too much bullshit for you, just trying to help...

_J

DJbLAZER 18-07-2004 09:39 PM

Hi Jango, thanks for the c&c's. Your Henchman sure is a nice model! As a beginner it's very hard to know where to put all your edges, and to get trid of all 3 and 5-polygons, but I guess that's something you learn over time. What do you mean exaactly I should do? What is the "problem" with my mouth and eyes? Regarding your wireframes, how do you render a smoothed version wiht the wireframes together?

Zyk0tiK 18-07-2004 10:42 PM

if there's one thing that I can say to help, is to use some references.

caligraphics 18-07-2004 10:45 PM

I have stopped caring about 3's and 5's since its only an issue when using subD, and Mental Ray. Also sometimes its best to have quads where you have much deformations, such as aound the mouth, eyes ..

Element_Khaos 18-07-2004 10:54 PM

wow about 10000000000000x better than my first head. the top of the head around the temple area looks a little swelled, almost liek an alien, and the new evil nose is a little sloppy but other than that really great job.

Jay 20-07-2004 01:12 PM

Its just a screen grab dude. As for the 3 and 5 sided theory I think you'll find four sided is the best approach no matter whether its a subd or not, especially when it comes to animating

_J

Pastuhoff 20-07-2004 03:04 PM

I would try to look up some topolgy-tuts and edgeloops-tuts, think you will find them interesting :) it will help you in futuring modelling as well.. keep it up.

DJbLAZER 21-07-2004 05:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Update. Some problems at the eyebrow area and I am not satisfied with the nose, so am just gonna keep working :D

DJbLAZER 22-07-2004 11:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Changed the nose, and I'm pretty satisfied with the result, think it looks a lot better now. The eyebrow area modified so he looks a little more angry.Modifications to the chin and the head shape.

Gonna do some small tweaking and then I'm gonna try to start to texturing this bad boy. Never done any UV-mapping before so that could be interesting :confused:

Element_Khaos 22-07-2004 11:30 PM

wow that looks really good. did you do it from a tutorial? if so which one? i like the new nose a lot, and the eye brows look good too. are you considering adding hair for the brows or scalp?