Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   SimplyMaya Tutorials (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Free Friday Tutorial #3: Use Background Shader (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34936)

Nilla 08-01-2011 01:19 AM

Free Friday Tutorial #3: Use Background Shader

Simply Maya - Use Background Shader on Vimeo

This week Jay explains how you can incorporate a 3d model onto a 2d background with Maya’s use background shader. The method shown here will allow you to cast shadows onto an image and make the model sit more realistically in a composite. We take look at alpha channels, isolating shadows in a render and how the appearance of shadows can be controlled within Maya using the shader node itself, as well as how to gain a higher level of control in post applications.

- Compositing 3D Models onto 2D Backgrounds
- Use Background Shader in Maya
- Alpha Channels
- Isolating Components within Renders
- Controlling Shadows

This tutorial was created to help you get started with our January Challenge - Before and After which is running this month on the forum, more entries are very welcome so join in. You don't need to be an expert and we'll help you along the way.
You can also download our free tutorial "Ambient Occlusion Render Layers" to learn how to composite individual renders together in Photoshop.

ctbram 08-01-2011 03:47 AM

Really good stuff Jay!

Jay 08-01-2011 10:24 AM

Cheers Rick glad you like mate.

I was quite pleased with it too, all done on my laptop too!!

cheers
Jay

Joey81 08-01-2011 04:35 PM

Thanks for the FFT tutorial :)
awesome

Joey81 10-01-2011 02:08 PM

Hey Nilla!

Are you planning to put Free Friday tuts to free downloads dictionary?
I would like to download this video but can't find it ...

joey

Nilla 11-01-2011 08:33 AM

Sorry Joey free fridays will be streaming only :( We'll add some more free tutorials to the download section though over the next few weeks so we'll get a mix, I like to download video as well when I can.

Joey81 11-01-2011 12:46 PM

Found a Website which capcured the video. So i ve it now in HD (mp4) :)

murambi 11-01-2011 01:49 PM

great tutorial Jay i use to use a longer route to get them to work

Jay 11-01-2011 09:14 PM

Ahh no worries murambi - its a pleasure to help

cheers
Jay

TunMag 10-05-2012 11:12 AM

I do not see the training video clip.

Jay 10-05-2012 12:31 PM

Its at the beginning of this thread

J

clownydhey 25-04-2013 10:03 AM

Hi Guys,

I am currently working on similar project. I applied ''Use Background" material, but I did not get any shadow in my render view... The alpha channel is completely white. Does anyone know what might be the problem?

There is shadow when I use other materials.

Jay 25-04-2013 10:28 AM

did you look at the tutorial?

Jay

clownydhey 25-04-2013 12:36 PM

Hi Jay,

Thank you for your reply. I did watch the tutorial before hand, but I use different lighting and build the ground out of poly cube to resemble a table.
Anyway, I redo everything again and follow the tutorial. I just change the lighting into directional light and create a new ground plane, it works now.

I'll just need to find out what I did wrong before. I guess there is something wrong with my poly cube.
Thanks!