Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Windos How tos help (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9659)

dragonfx 04-01-2004 12:54 PM

Windos How tos help

Im wondering how to:

1 Configure the "windows explorer" to always start on a diferent place from the default(my documents), lets say i want it to start pointing to c:\ to save 2 clicks every time i want to do something

2 Bind the "show desk"? quick start icon to a hot key (right button->properties doesnt shows the command used when you click it)

3 Make windows restart its local net recognition features after you disconnected the hub from the internet and turned off the firewall without having to restart the damn pc...

NightPhantom 04-01-2004 10:22 PM

Quote:

2 Bind the "show desk"? quick start icon to a hot key (right button->properties doesnt shows the command used when you click it)
create a shortcut to that icon and put it somewhere inside the start menu. Then open the properties of that shortcut and under "Shortcut Key" enter any 1 letter or number, and then click ok. Now if you hold down "Control" + "Alt" and press that same letter or number you will run the shortcut. You can do the same thing with any other shortcut in your start menu (for example I open Maya with Control+Alt+M, and photoshop with control+alt+P).

dragonfx 04-01-2004 11:38 PM

Thanks nightphantom, creating a shortcur to the shortcut worked... I knew someday i could use some of those annoying logitek keyboard lots of function buttons to make something useful... (now if i only could remember where i putted what without attaching stickers to the keyboard:)...)

btw for all: im in desperate need for a local network restart command(nº3) there must be something windows starts at the begining to locate other systems that the firewall prevents, and doesnt runs again when the firewall is off (i only can locate em starting with the firewall off) And i have variable ip´s so i cant configure the firewall to let it pass

dragonfx 05-01-2004 12:22 AM

BTW does anybody knows how to install this features?
http://www.dotcomscotland.co.uk/weir.../computers.htm
:D

-<{ JB }>- 07-01-2004 05:01 AM

Re: Windos How tos help

Quote:

Originally posted by dragonfx
1 Configure the "windows explorer" to always start on a diferent place from the default(my documents), lets say i want it to start pointing to c:\ to save 2 clicks every time i want to do something
I've set mine to open on My Computer... but I can't remember how I did it!

NightPhantom 07-01-2004 05:35 AM

I remmeber seeing the answer to number one somewhere, but because it's not a problem for me I never bother to read it all. But I think you can find it here http://www.tweakxp.com/

dragonfx 07-01-2004 06:37 PM

thnx again nightphantom found the tip there...

didnt found a response to nº3 but i believe it has to do with this windows service(that the firewall must be screwing up at start):
"F:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs"
it would be nice to be able to make a batchfile that stopped it and the restarted it with just one click...
do you know how can one kill that service with a command line?

doodle 07-01-2004 11:06 PM

Have a few problems too.

1. How can i make IE window that are shift-clicked will the screen. I currently have to manually maximize.

2. The status bar on Folders and IE has gone. Bit annoying to keep selecting Status Bar via the View Menu.

dave_baer 08-01-2004 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by NightPhantom
create a shortcut to that icon and put it somewhere inside the start menu. Then open the properties of that shortcut and under "Shortcut Key" enter any 1 letter or number, and then click ok. Now if you hold down "Control" + "Alt" and press that same letter or number you will run the shortcut. You can do the same thing with any other shortcut in your start menu (for example I open Maya with Control+Alt+M, and photoshop with control+alt+P).
Hmmmm. I can't get it to work. Is that the Start menu or the Start Up menu?

NightPhantom 08-01-2004 08:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by dave_baer
Hmmmm. I can't get it to work. Is that the Start menu or the Start Up menu?
It's the "start" menu, not the "startup" folder. If you leave the shortcut inside the startup folder it will be executed every time you start your computer (and you probably don't want that...)
Try using a shortcut that is already in the start menu, like notepad or the calculator. Sometimes I have found that I have to restart my computer before it works (that happen when I had already assigned a key to another shortcut and I forget to clear the first one before assigning it to a second one..)

Also, here's a screenshot of my shortcut to photoshop. Notice it says "Control + Alt + P", but when chossing the key I only press P and windows adds the Control + Alt part. (I do have to hold down control + Alt when I want to run photoshop though. This shortcut is the very same created by photoshops instalation inside my start menu, but it could be a shortcut created by myself, it makes no difference.

dave_baer 09-01-2004 04:11 AM

Yeah, I did that, Still doesn't work. I can set the option, and I rebooted, but still doesn't work. Ah well. Maybe it's an XP thing?

BTW: I noticed that you're in Florida. Where abouts? I'm in Miami Beach. :D

ragecgi 09-01-2004 04:33 AM

Just an FYI for the "Show the Desktop" issue, it has always been there in the right-click menu.

Just right-click on the task bar, and choose "Show the Desktop" :)

No need for making other shortcuts, unless you choose to hide the bar.

Also, to maximize an IE window just hit F11 :)

NightPhantom 09-01-2004 05:05 AM

I'm in Tampa

dave_baer 09-01-2004 06:50 AM

Quote:

Just an FYI for the "Show the Desktop" issue, it has always been there in the right-click menu.
And there's a shortcut in the windows taskbar at the bottom. Usually the first on on the left. Looks like a little desk pad with a pad of paper and a pencil on it.

:beer:

ragecgi 14-01-2004 01:16 AM

Yep. Tho, I deleted those when I rebuilt my machine so I forgot about thatone:)