Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   WIP Haunted House Tutorial (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32201)

3dagent 05-04-2009 03:37 AM

WIP Haunted House Tutorial

1 Attachment(s)
hey guys,

first of all, i'm new to 3d modelling so i got the haunted house tutorial, which is really nice to understand! but i have one little problem, please see my rendering, there a strange black lines at my model and i just don't know why.

maybe someone has an idea, could be like a typical beginners-fault?

greetz,
3dagent

ctbram 05-04-2009 05:42 AM

Please post your render settings.

3dagent 05-04-2009 12:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hey,

okay, i screenshoted the actual render settings but i didn't changed them except for the quality..., like in the haunted house tutorial video. i'm using maya 2008, could it has something to do with my hardware?

3dagent 05-04-2009 12:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
okay, i changed the light-settings a little bit, first my bias was 0 but i now i set it up to .3, the strange black lines disappeared, but the next thing is my shadow, look at the stilts, the shadow has like a gap, the same below my cullis...

Rhetoric Camel 05-04-2009 05:57 PM

it looks like you're getting a gap in your shadows because they're not actually touching the ground, make those posts go into the ground and see if that helps.

This was the second tutorial I did and it was a big help for me, you're doing a good job so far, can't wait to see the progress. KUTGW :beer:

3dagent 05-04-2009 11:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
well, the weird thing is, i am actually touching the ground with everything, but the higher i set bias, the more distance i get...
i didn't know, what bias acutally mean so i take a look at google and found out, that it's for the distance, but i don't understand what it is really good for? why should you move the shadow away from the object? if i set bias to zero, i get this black lines like in the first post. anyway, i finished the modelling part right now and will begin texturing tomorrow, so i wanted to let you guys know, what i'm doing

3dagent 11-04-2009 12:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
well, finally i finished this tutorial and project, i know, its not the best result as far as kurt did his final rendering. but i'm satisfied with the result and the tutorial helped me so much to get into maya a lot more.
and i learned another important fact: organization! ;)
one last question, my grass looks still so animated with regard to the smooth grass kurt has done, any ideas?
anyway, kurt has done a great job with this tutorial, i understood everything and he didn't skip any detail!

edit: i forgot, in one section kurt has done clouds in the sky and the sky itself, and he link-deconnected it from the light (the sky) so the sky didn't project a shadow on itself, but alter on he created another sky withoug doing this light-linking-thing. so, is there a way to set the background to not cast shadows but still to be lighted? you can still see the sky, the clouds and the moon cast shadows on the sky-sphere!

(sorry for my english)

3dagent 13-04-2009 12:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
okay, i found out, renderstats...
but thx anyway