Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Severus Snape (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35238)

mastone 06-03-2011 12:18 AM

Severus Snape

1 Attachment(s)
Started modeling on Snape from Harry Potter, this is intended as a portfolio piece, tomorow I will start with the body.
I have used spotlight in Zbrush to put a testtexture on his face and apart from some minor stuff the face is looking reasonable well.
C&C is welcome of course

Chirone 06-03-2011 12:28 AM

that disturbingly looks like him....

mastone 06-03-2011 12:32 AM

Thanks, I wasn't to sure at first but when I slapped on the texture I saw it fitted pretty good ( there is still some minor stuff that needs fixing, but not bad for one day I think ;) )

BabyDuck 06-03-2011 07:35 AM

that does look nice. maybe you should make the nose a little more "hookier" so he looks closer to what he looks like in the book, and not like the actor in the movie.

mastone 06-03-2011 12:53 PM

hi babyduck

I think when it comes to "booklikeniss" I think Alan Rickman is one of the few actors that got his character spot on, I never doubted for one second that he was snape and I try to honor that achievement ;).
I did a previze of a more bookish version of Voldemort however ( see my avatar or website) since I think that character could be a lot scarier/menacing in the movie than he is portrait at the moment( but that should be expected since kids are going to watch it ;) )

daverave 06-03-2011 01:20 PM

Very nice...........dave

Mayaniac 06-03-2011 02:04 PM

That's a good likeness man!

gster123 06-03-2011 02:35 PM

Instantly recognisable.

Great work so far on the likeness.

Cheers

Steve

mastone 06-03-2011 05:00 PM

Thanks guys ;)

Jay 06-03-2011 05:44 PM

Yes your best one thus far in my opinion. Just to rub it in, a good friend and colleague of mine who I sat with at cinesite and who is now a texture lead with me at Windmill Lane VFX had the honor of zbrushing and texturing Voldemorts head.....

carry on...look forward to this

Jay

mastone 06-03-2011 10:15 PM

"Yes your best one thus far in my opinion."
-Thanks and I certainly hope I improve over time ;).

"Just to rub it in, a good friend and colleague of mine who I sat with at cinesite and who is now a texture lead with me at Windmill Lane VFX had the honor of zbrushing and texturing Voldemorts head....."
-His entire head? I thought they only did a CG nose...ah well sounds like fun, but I don't begrudge him doing it haha ;).
Maybe a stupid question but why trade Soho for Ireland ? ( I know some people who are working in or around the soho area and I do know that there is a lot of pressure, they don't pay overtime and depending on where you work you have to deal with rude/shitty colleaggues - especially when you are at a low position, they gradually get "nicer" when you rise in the ranks ;)- but they al kinda agree that when it comes at "being at the spot where it happens" one should be in Soho, but that's just hear say of course and Ireland is a beautiful country no doubt about it.
If I could pick a country/company as to where to work it would probably be WETA in New Zealand ( lets just hope they will do a remake of LOTR in a year or so hahahaha)

I didn't have a lot of time today ( got visitors grrr) I have started on the torso ( I have cut up the body in several parts and modify them in zbrush because I get the shapes I want more easily) and will try and finish up the body in the following week, maybe evn start on the clothes

Jay 07-03-2011 10:21 AM

Im here in Ireland because my contract ended as a modeler ended last july in soho - so you go where the work is.....but we have a few ex D-Neg guys here and Peerless Camera Company too, plus a coupe of us from Cinesite

hahaha well no overtime pay is quite common place in this industry. So be prepared

J

honestdom 07-03-2011 12:18 PM

i thought voldemort was an mpc character?
...i get paid for weekends but not for extra hours i do during the week.

i agree with everyone, the model looks great. your best so far :)
do you have a screenshot without the texture?

mastone 07-03-2011 07:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
@Jay: didn't mean it like that there is no dishonor in going to Ireland I just wondered that's all, was it much hassle ( moving and all?)

@honestdom:
So you only work in the weekends ? hahah
Thanks for the complement and here is an untextured zbrush sculpt

honestdom 07-03-2011 07:28 PM

looks great, i imagine the texture is just a place holder. it was a bit yellow.