Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   September Challenge - Scraggy_dogg - Noobie (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7748)

Scraggy_Dogg 01-09-2003 06:09 PM

September Challenge - Scraggy_dogg - Noobie

1 Attachment(s)
OK I have never done a Character before, and really want to but just in case the going get's tough I will model the character and just see how it turns out.
So with that in mind I will pick Numero Uno the Space thingy.
At least that way I don't have to submit if it's naff. :D

Hey BTW tell Kevin thanks :D
I nicked his 'Simple Man' tutorial to see how hard characters are.... And I like thes e Subdiv's :D
BTW Can I use Subdiv's? they are only sort of Poly's aren't they?
(please excuse my lack of understanding the basics)

Oh yeah BTW How do I Un-Triangulate? I had to Cntrl-Z out.

Regards Scraggy

Darkware 01-09-2003 06:16 PM

Don't think you will be able to use sub-divs seeing as how I doubt they are used in games. Polys only. No nurbs either. Also, I don't think you can un-triangulate. Triangulating is ment to be done when you are completely finished with your model. Usually, I model a little, triangulate to see how close my poly count comes to my cap, undo, then model some more, then triangulate again later, see how close I am to my poly limit, etc, etc until I realize that I shouldn't model any more because my poly count will go overboard. Then I triangulate permanentely.

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of that.

adldesigner 01-09-2003 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Darkware
Don't think you will be able to use sub-divs seeing as how I doubt they are used in games. Polys only. No nurbs either. Also, I don't think you can un-triangulate. Triangulating is ment to be done when you are completely finished with your model. Usually, I model a little, triangulate to see how close my poly count comes to my cap, undo, then model some more, then triangulate again later, see how close I am to my poly limit, etc, etc until I realize that I shouldn't model any more because my poly count will go overboard. Then I triangulate permanentely.

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of that.

Sounds reasonable indeed.
Mike should have this better nailed than most of us.

Scraggy_Dogg 01-09-2003 06:31 PM

Ta

Hmm Ok - It's just the only tutorial that I could follow for making a character.
Most of the others were NURBS or Patching?
I thought maybe Sudivs were Poly's but divided up smaller? DOH!
OK good job I picked No 1 then because I haven't the faintest in making a character out of Poly's (Unless his name is 'SpongebobSquareAll' )- LOL No Problem.....Will start on Buildings...

mtmckinley 01-09-2003 06:38 PM

Polygons > Quadrangulate does an ok job of "un-triangulating." Not perfect, though.

Polygons only! :)

[icarus_uk] 01-09-2003 08:45 PM

Theres a mel script somewhere that tells you the triangles even without triangulating.

Zyk0tiK 02-09-2003 06:10 AM

You say "no polys" but surely you can convert from Subd to polygons? that is becomming extremely popular with knew engines isnt it. Make them high res using NURBS etc etc, and bake them down to low polys?

Darkware 02-09-2003 11:30 AM

Oh yes, you can model in whatever you want. Just so long as the final result is polys.

mtmckinley 02-09-2003 12:46 PM

Sure, nothing wrong with that, although that's not a method that anyone I know personally uses. :)

Scraggy_Dogg 02-09-2003 01:26 PM

Character...

Hmm, would that work OK?
I have had problems finding 'Understandable' Tutorials that make Characters, all the ones I came across were either NURBS or something. [I looked on Boris] .. I remembered Kevin's because it was the first tutorial I ever did and was so easy to do.

So what will happen when I convert my model to poly's? - will it get more 'Blocky' ? In fact don't answer - I will go and try it on that model.
Natalia told me there may be some poly/character/tut's on Planethalflife/Planetquake so I will go check now.. :) J.I.C. my model turns into 'Lego Man' when I convert :D

Anyway I won't spend too much time on the Character it's just because it's something i think is a MUST to learn to model, so want to give it a bash.

"Why do we have to wear these ridiculous ties"
"Who ate all the dohnuts?"

Scraggy_Dogg 02-09-2003 03:21 PM

Problem getting vertices to snap?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,
I have been following an Alias tutorial on making a Poly gearwheel. The problem arises when I need to get the sided back straight after scaling them in all directions....

It says to go into side view, select all the Top vertices, press 'Snap to grid' and when you pull up - they are all supposed to even out along the Grid-line...so then you turn off Grid snap and put them back and your gear has a nice flat side...
For some reason mine don't? I have tried the 'Tool Options' and any others I can think of, but just cannot get the vertices to individually snap. - They all keep their original shape..?
Any Ideas?
In the picture you can see that I have pulled all vertices from the side of the gear up, and they indeed have snapped to the grid...But keeping same shape??? I'm sure there must be an option or something that I need to turn on, adjust or whatever..

Regards Scraggy

[EDIT]
Thanks to NitroLiq and Fredriksson for the help, all sorted out now, I had to go to 'Move tool options' and Unchecked 'Keep Spacing' Box ...... to get it to snap properly.

Zyk0tiK 02-09-2003 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mtmckinley
Sure, nothing wrong with that, although that's not a method that anyone I know personally uses. :)
ID Software uses this method for Quake 4, haven't you seen their models? couple of hundred thousand polys, ready to be baked down to low poly.

Zyk0tiK 02-09-2003 06:17 PM

Scraggy, if you're going to do polygonal modelling just use your intuition, it's not hard at all. My method means getting a cube, extruding faces to make one side of a shirt, then delete the side then use the split poly tool to get more resolution into the charachters, and drag them points out to where you want. Just pretend you're working with clay, first you make basic shape, then define. Then work on the legs in the same way, then on the arms, then the head. Try looking at Kurt's low poly bloke and try copy exactly what he did, just by looking at the lines and such. You will then be able to do it. The project i started is only my 3rd ever model. Polygon based stuff is so easy, just use your intuition and brains of how things should look and you'll do fine :)

Scraggy_Dogg 02-09-2003 08:17 PM

Danke!

Cheers for help, actually did find some Poly tutorials out there, but really the problem lies with me getting used to tools... I suppose ("Like the above post"got me stuck for like 2-3Hrs)
I soon found out that everyone seems to have their own way of making Poly Character models
i.e. Some say "Use a Cylinder so you don't have to shape" (may try that!) Some i have seen put a sort of wierd twist in the cube while making the neck (I think?)
Basically I need to learn all the tools then I can try it, I just got 'Wedge Poly' learned........ Doing 'Bevel' next...

Oh yeah I have that C.P.S. err Script? working, but I dunno if it's worth looking at? I really don't want to confuse the issue if I don't have to...(But at least i leaned how to install it) :)

Great Idea Zyk0tiK, will try to do a copy... of the Simple Man ... (Kevin's) in Poly's....And see whappens!

Scraggy_Dogg 02-09-2003 09:23 PM

Ok Apart from that....Comp...

Hi...

Ok, I have a couple of questions?

Poly Cylinders... How do make a proper bend? I have been just extruding and doing by sight... :(
How do you make a decent 'Mountains and hills in Poly's?' without going crazy on the Triangle meter!
Its no fair I cannot use that 'Paint' thingy ..... :(

Hmmm maybe I better sit this one out, otherwise you gonna get really fed up answering me ... Hmmm Plus the Bandwidth - lol!

:banghead: :beer: Scraggy