Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   animation:Standing Jump (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11943)

Nametag 23-05-2004 11:29 PM

animation:Standing Jump

hey guys,
Heres my first shot at a standing jump using the packageman rig from goosh and Lluis.
Id like you guys to give it a good going over :)

StandingJump(divx 160KB)
:)

edit you need at least divx 5.1

ransick 23-05-2004 11:47 PM

huh.....I was like......ok.........THAT COOOOOOL!
I don't have any crits only than some good words....

nice work!

Jack Of Spades 23-05-2004 11:48 PM

my divx does not play it :(

d0c 24-05-2004 02:11 AM

hey man .. great start. .. atleast u can tell what he is doing :) but i have a few issues with it. please dont take it that i am battering your animation. i'm not disney myself.

1. at the start u might want to anticipate him going up before having him go down. ( a bit of anticipation on top of anticipation)

2. i would break those joints a bit. (hands) they are way too straight throughout the animation. bend them a lil bit it will look more natural .. maybe u can read up on successive breaking of joints. (animation survival toolkit by richard williams) is the bible!

3. at the start when he is crouching down he seems to be a bit off balance.

4. when he is landing. you might want to put it in a straight contact pose. for more change within the action and to show the impact.

5. and i would work on the landing a bit. i feel its a bit unrealistic he needs to overshoot a bit or even step forward or something.

6. play with his spine a bit more.

thats all i can think of for now i'm a bit tired :) .. again great start and keep it up man

MainlineX 24-05-2004 04:29 PM

Nice animation there Nametag!! :)

Nametag 24-05-2004 06:12 PM

Thanks for the comments guys I really appriciate you taking time to reply to my thread and help me out. :)
d0c: Awesome feedback! exactly what i was looking for. I totally agree with all your points. Im opening up maya right now so see what i can do with your feedback :)
Ive only really been animating for about 1 month (since i posted a walkcycle on here was my 1st shot) but the animation survival toolkit by richard williams is the baby! Im just through reading the section on breaking joints and overlap so hopefully together with your comments ill post an update soon!
Cheers

mohheader 25-05-2004 06:20 AM

nice work
keep going

foo1971 25-05-2004 03:33 PM

Yeah I like it a lot, I think the style of animation is suited to the characters weight and centre of balance.

Top work

d0c 26-05-2004 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by foo1971
[B I think the style of animation is suited to the characters weight and centre of balance.

Top work [/B]

:confused:

how so ..>?

Nametag 29-05-2004 02:17 AM

Hey :)
Heres another WIP on the jump, its still far from complete but i think its a slight improvement. ive been concentrating on anticipation on the takeoff and a better balanced landing.
As always comments / feedback would be great:)

StandingJump(divx 870KB)

Thanks

DrRobotnik 29-05-2004 02:25 AM

Looks great!