Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Mac vs PC (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7717)

ckyuk 30-08-2003 09:34 AM

Mac vs PC

I'm planning on getting a new computer but i'm not sure what to buy ... the new Power Mac G5 or build myself a PC. I'm not planning on playing games so i don't want people saying get a PC as they get all the games, i've got a PS2 for that. The computer will mainly be used for CG work usings Maya and Photoshop. What should i buy?

EagleKing 30-08-2003 09:38 AM

I don't have a clue about what is better. PC or mac. The only thing I know is that I have a pc and I can use it very well for using photoshop and maya.

mushroomgod 30-08-2003 11:16 AM

get a pc....though i love macs to death (and im still a little upset from giving mine to my dad...), pcs are better at 3d in general..

Ultragames 30-08-2003 11:40 AM

Man, you realise your starting a war here right?? PCs are better for 3D. Most CG proggies have better verisons in PC. PCs are just better for this all around.

drknow 30-08-2003 12:24 PM

PCs Rock, Macs Suck, Its like having a car that you cant open the hood on.

adldesigner 30-08-2003 01:16 PM

-Thread under observation-

David 30-08-2003 01:21 PM

lol @ adl

I think you should just try both if you haven't all ready done so and find the one with the OS you like most, the new g5 is very fast so no problems there at the end of the day the best machine is the one your most comfortable using.

David :)

EagleKing 30-08-2003 01:32 PM

--EDIT by David--

Nothing wrong with this thread, a question was asked so lets not do anything except try and give a sensible reply to the mans question.

David :)

mtmckinley 30-08-2003 01:49 PM

I've not used Maya for Mac, but I have used many other art applications, such as Photoshop, Illustrator, and the like. Aside from a few keyboard shortcut differences, I've never noticed much of any difference between the performance of Mac and PC counterpart programs.

My only real reason for having a PC is that I do more than just Maya and art related stuff with it, and PC just has the largest "area of influence" so to speak with all the software out there.

So, I reckon you should get whichever you like better.

Alan 30-08-2003 01:52 PM

I just cant get used to only one mouse button, that's what really annoys me about macs (that and the fact that more support and resources are available for PC)

I'd 100% always get a PC

Alan

Ultragames 30-08-2003 01:55 PM

one button is PURE FREAKING EVIL!! I have 8 on mine. Its my personal revenge against Macs for their one button crap!. lol

ckyuk 30-08-2003 01:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, i've just got back from the shop with my new case so i'm building a PC not having a Mac. I've got the ThermalTake Xaser III Blue V1000D (£105) and it's massive, the trouble i had getting it in the car. I haven't got any battries for my digital camera at the moment so i've just posted a pic off their web site untill i get some battries. What you think of it?

Alan 30-08-2003 02:02 PM

swweeeeeetttt!!! :D

ckyuk 30-08-2003 02:21 PM

Next question, Dual Xeon or Dual MP

I think it'll be Dual Xeon with this motherboard Motherboard

dragonfx 30-08-2003 02:51 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by drknow
PCs Rock, Macs Suck, Its like having a car that you cant open the hood on. [/QUOTE
you can open em (g4 1/4 turn screws... ) and do things like adding more ram etc...

----------------------------------------------------------------------
i have to agree that macs suck because the lowered price/performance (they win on design no doubt) but the fewer range of things you can do with a mac and the 1 button definitely reveal it as it is: a rich guy toy.... (... mentioned that i loved the design?:))