Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   lightsaber glow (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16797)

gohan1842 24-05-2005 10:12 PM

lightsaber glow

1 Attachment(s)
does anybody have any tips on how to get a good light saber look. right now im stuck with this. it has too much green glow.

NitroLiq 24-05-2005 11:26 PM

View my post in the episode III link:

http://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...ght=lightsaber

There are various tut links in it on how to do it.

gohan1842 25-05-2005 12:08 AM

thx.. those are helpful. but does anybody know a way to do it in maya.

THX1138 25-05-2005 11:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I tried the glow, couldn't get it much better then yours. The closer you get to your sabre the less the glow flares out, and the further back, the more the glow flares.Although if you set your Color and ambient to solid white, and incandesence ( of your color ) for your glow, you get a much better looking white core. Use the special effects tab for your glow intensity, but don't go too high on the inensity or you will loose your color. There is probably a way to do it and make the sabre look real and not so much like a photoshop effect.

gohan1842 25-05-2005 11:24 PM

thx. ill try switching around the ambient and incadense colors again and see wat i get. i use .2 for the glow.

gohan1842 25-05-2005 11:50 PM

bacically i have my colors right and stuff its just that i dont want to have as much glow radiating.

THX1138 26-05-2005 01:01 AM

The special effects glow attribute doesn't seem to work well for Light sabre FX. There has got to be another way to get around it to achieve better control of the glow flare. I will have to experiment for a while and see if I can accomplish anything.

Phopojijo 26-05-2005 02:39 AM

Maybe you should try creating a cylindrically mapped lightsaber with more glow on the tips than in the middle to create a more uniform glow.

THX1138 26-05-2005 10:43 AM

Mapping the cylinder probably wont get any glow from the core. I have never been able to achieve that kind of glow from mapping. The somewhat proper glow Maya offers seems to be dependant on the effects tab. I wish the effects tab had more options.

Alan 26-05-2005 01:20 PM

why don't you do it in 2d.... maya glows suck ass... it's much easier in 2d :D (copy your image brighten it until your glow level is as you want it then blur it as much as you nee to to get the right amount of falloff, mix the original back on top... voila no re-rendering etc etc)

:ninja:
Alan

gohan1842 26-05-2005 07:06 PM

if i did it in 2d then i would have to edit every image of my animation. im sure the ppl that made star wars 3 had an easier way of animation a lightsaber than doing it on every frame

Alan 26-05-2005 08:12 PM

only if you're using photoshop (even then you could create a batch action!) doing it to every frame is what's required sometimes and if you rotoscope it as was mentioned on the other thread that's exactly what you'll be doing ;)

alan

Phopojijo 26-05-2005 09:23 PM

Hmm -- just thought of something -- this would murder your render time but you could probably have the cylinder release particles, short lived and a LOT of them. This would also give a small trail when you swipe the saber aswell.

Not all that well versed with particles by Software Cloud might be a good setting for it.

Not to most effective, but it'll probably work.

Alan 26-05-2005 09:29 PM

guys one thing to remember is that ILM have prman and thus they can do multisegment motion blur where it blurs the image multiple times within a frame and that's partly how they get that "blown out" white look. I'll take a look at this tomorrow at work and see what i can come up with.

Alan

Ps the particles idea would be so hard to control accurately I think it would drive you into a quivering wreck of a maya artist in the corner ;)

gohan1842 26-05-2005 09:32 PM

so basically pure morning... wat ur saying is that i will more than likely be better off editing frame by frame?