Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Booleans-union problem! (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24716)

Mayastatic 21-01-2007 05:59 PM

Booleans-union problem!

Hello!

I want to perform a Booleans- union operation! Normaly it quit drives, but now I have in my scene to objects who disappear when I Bool them! Why?

I tried in the same scene two new Poly objects for booleans- union, without a mistake? I canceled the History but it changed nothing!Can you help me?

Mayastatic 21-01-2007 06:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Mayastatic 21-01-2007 06:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is after booleans

marlonjohn 22-01-2007 02:48 PM

your scene/pictures look very wierd, can you post another from a different angle? thanks, also what are you trying to boolen -> union? another tip is you can only do two objects you cannot select a couple of things and do it.

marlon

NeoStrider 22-01-2007 05:55 PM

i don't know about anyone else, but i get the same image each time...

marlonjohn 22-01-2007 09:46 PM

yeah neostrider, i get that aswell... you not the only one :p

NeoStrider 22-01-2007 09:53 PM

either way, not really sure why he'd want to boolean those two items... you could just parent/group them and leave them intersecting *shrug*

bruce dwyer 23-01-2007 01:14 AM

uhm yeh

it seems to me uniting them will only make texturing them even harder from the look of them they're some sort of engine and will have lots of little parts ... (thats a double shrug from me) ... tho here is a bit of something if it is of any help ... boolean will not work if the objects do not completly intersect, and boolean sometimes will not work when the geometry gets too complicated (keep in mind that a lot of maths will be done to work out how to mesh the geometry) ... when all else fails, and if you truleey seek to unite them you could use Poly>Combine. then Poly> Merge Vertices. ... Wow, what a lot of geometry, ... thats a nights work and a sore head

Mayastatic 23-01-2007 06:04 AM

Hmmm.. I upload the false picture! Sorry ( stupid!!!)

I want to Bool the parts for the animation! Because when I Group them its not easy to animate, because there are more parts added in the final model who are animated in every axes! And I want deformation of the hole object in the animation. Like warp from the Enterprise! You can Imagine?

The afterbooleans picture is coming :attn:

The combine- intersect method is still good, Thanks!

NeoStrider 23-01-2007 02:38 PM

like the warp from enterprise... the show? haven't seen it. if you're talkin about like from the intro to st:tng (where the enterprise stretches before going to warp speed), then yea you could just do that with a lattice pretty easily.

ocadrian 24-01-2007 05:43 AM

booleans

sometimes the Normals do that. so check the normals, invert them or set them to be in the same direction on all objects (usually on the outside of the object). maybe it will help.

Mayastatic 24-01-2007 12:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the right pic from the afterunion! Neo!- I mean that from the intro. I have done that with a lattice but the texture deformed too much! I donĀ“t know why!
Now, I will try it with the Normals!
But thanks at that place!