Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Nurb rendering problem (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23482)

RavenBlade 16-10-2006 04:09 PM

NURBS rendering problem

Hi,

Im attempting to render a NURBS image - just a simple sphere at this point with illumination hitting it from directly above - but when i move to render it, all i get is a black screen. I have checked to see which way the surfaces were directing and they were facing outwards so...Im really not sure whats wrong. Any suggestions would be great - ive probably missed something blindingly obvious but still ^^

colorado 17-10-2006 03:47 PM

panel

in the panel options go to lights>use all light and that will show you what your render will look like.u need a lot more than 1 light to light a scene probly about 5 or 6.let me know if that helps.

RavenBlade 22-10-2006 07:11 AM

No, it didnt work =( thanks for the suggestions though.

Is it possible that my graphics card just isnt compatible with maya?

colorado 22-10-2006 07:21 AM

pic

can you post a pic of your render.and did you up the intensity of your light?

RavenBlade 22-10-2006 09:12 PM

Yeah, upped the light intensity & blasted it with lights.

I also found something strange - when i manually change the size of the render view window, it sometimes shows an image, but i cant get this to happen all the time. Its very inconsistent with this.

pic of render

NeoStrider 23-10-2006 12:39 AM

what kind of shader do you have on that object?

RavenBlade 23-10-2006 01:28 AM

It was just the default lambert shader, but i changed the colour to red for more of a contrast to the black background when its rendered.

NeoStrider 23-10-2006 01:40 AM

in order to pinpoint the problem (either the program or your video card in displaying the render), after rendering your image (whether it shows or not) try saving it to a jpg and then opening it(quality of file doesn't matter).

if after saving the render to another file type it DOES display, then i think you've got a video card issue. if it doesn't then i believe it's a maya issue, and i'd recommend either reinstalling it or deleting your prefs folder (which will also delete any preferences or mel scripts you've got, so be careful) and restarting maya to see if that helps.

colorado 23-10-2006 02:53 AM

trans

i would up the transperincy(i know i spelled that wrong)lol.to about 50 percent.and maybe put an area light inside the shader for a test.and use the most reflective material(ready for another misspelled word)anistropic.

RavenBlade 23-10-2006 03:35 AM

I tried both those suggestions and i think its a video card problem - i saved the image (which didnt display in the render view this time) as a jpg & it displayed ok.

So assuming thats the problem, is there anything i should do apart from/as well as buying a new video card? i'll probably have to buy one, huh?

Thanks for your help NeoStrider and colorado =)

colorado 23-10-2006 03:50 AM

sorry

ya man you could get a decent one for about a hundred bucks.if your like me thats alot but its worth it.

gster123 23-10-2006 04:05 AM

Hey man did you save it as a AVI file?

If so maya outputs huge AVI files, so that might be your problem (PC wise playing such huge files, as I fell short on that when I first started out in maya)

RavenBlade 23-10-2006 04:21 AM

The renderer is outputting them as maya IFF files.

The computer is fine playing AVI files off maya (i've rendered something off on a friends computer before & played it on mine), but it won't show anything in the render view window.

I'll probably end up buying a video card.. like colorado said - a lot, but worth it..

gster123 23-10-2006 04:22 AM

I take it your trying to play if thorugh F check?

RavenBlade 23-10-2006 04:26 AM

No, i havent got as far as playing things through on F check on this computer yet. Its just not showing anything in the render window - still renders & stuff ._.